Repair or replace Hayward sp3400

Mar 26, 2017
Avondale, AZ
Hey,
Noticed yesterday my pool pump wasn’t turning on( sp3400vsp). Looked at the diagnostic screen. Got the pump stall error. After some
Research looks like it needs a drive unit. Common failure it seems. Granted no surge protector installed and broken bonding wire . Inherited the pool two years ago. So didn’t catch that. Now my option.
Plus No Automation on my pool.

1. eBay service to repair the drive controller. $220
Plus install surge protector and new binding wire.

2. Purchase a century vgreen 270 or Emerson Avss3 and reuse the wet side of the Hayward. Pumps Appear to be the same pump
$500.

3. Purchase a new Speck EcoM3 or Pentair superflo vs for $700

Would like a basic automation set up in the future . So maybe a no go on the superflo. doesn't appear to support it.
Looking for some input on what route to take.

Last edited:
@Jimrahbe
I can understand the off brand products not up to snuff . Just was a little worried about the repair drive controller not lasting. Granted its not too much. Around half the cost of a new one. I also started looking at the parts list on the off brand pumps. If the drIve controller fails on the century vgreen pumps, I can't get a controller. Need to purchase the whole pump/controller. So got to factor that in.

Look at replacing he vsp with a 2 speed motor. They've been on the market for decades, basically do the same thing a vsp does, and it doesn't have a computer on it's back. Look into it. Just my 2 cents after 25 years working pools.

I did look into those. Pretty much the next best thing to a vs pump. Not too sure on the current draw of a low speed pump. That would be deal breaker in the summer months in az. So considering the 25yrs of pool experience. What would you say a typical vs pump’s life is ? (Hayward,Pentair) I did notice the earlier Ecostar’s drive unit is Crud.
I’m sure climate,runtime and weathering plays into that. Just a average life span. It almost seems like the return on investment isn’t there.

The VSF (011056) can do VS or VF or both... It is up to you, so basically you would just use the VS programming and not use the VF programming..

It should work great..

Thanks,

Jim R.

There is no guarantee of course, but I have three of their IntelliFlo pumps that run 24/7.. One is about 9 or 10 years old, one is about 7 and ones is about 5.. Knock on wood, they are all still running just fine..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.