Repair or replace Hayward 6020 DE filter with something new?

WaterBaby2020

Apr 23, 2020
Tampa, FL
My ten year old Hayward 6020 is backwashing DE powder into my pool. My home warranty company sent two different repair guys. They both diagnosed the problem as a cracked standpipe as well as some sort of twisting to the grids...perhaps someone trying to loosen or remove the grids without taking off the manifold. They recommend replacing the grids, manifold and standpipe for roughly $350. The home warranty company will not cover the repair.

I could get the Hayward repaired -OR- apply that $350 towards ia new filter system which is a recommendation of my pool cleaning company. Among my options:
---I can replace my current Hayward with a new Hayward for $1200 and get a three year warranty.
---I could go with a Pentair DE system (Quad?) which, I am told, is easier to clean and maintain for $1200-1500 (includes new value).
---I could also replace the Hayward with a cartridge system, which I am told is easier to clean and maintain but there is a concern because my pool is not covered and a lot of foilage falls into the pool, especially in spring and fall.
--I can just get the ten year old Hayward repaired

This is not my area of expertise. Total pool novice here. I would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, there is no real right or wrong answer here. Any of those options are reasonable, although cost is certainly a major factor. Besides the cost, I suppose the next question to ask yourself is, "Are you happy with a DE filter?" If you are, then you've eliminated the cartridge option. Members here all have their own preference. I will say however I don't think the seasonal foliage should be a major factor in that decision. All filter types (DE, sand, and cart) perform virtually the same. Your foliage should hit the water's surface and get pulled into the poolside skimmer for frequent removal. It shouldn't really impact your main filter's ability to keep the water clear.

When it comes to cleanings and maintenance, some filters are easier than others. No question turning a MPV to backwash is the easiest for a "routine" clean, but what about deeper cleanings like a sand deep clean or the grids on a DE filter? Then it gets more complicated. Cartridge systems just get pulled-out, rinsed, and put back in. I like my cart filter, but the next poster might be a sand owner who loves their filter, or DE and so on.

So if money is the biggest priority, I'd say go cheap, replace the guts of the filter, and you should be good to go for quite a while. But if money is not an option and you're ready for a change, consider the options of sand or cartridge. I'll post a link below for more comparison info.

I went through this issue about 3 years ago. I went with an oversized cartridge filter. Band name very fine filters can filter almost as good as DE. They are easy to clean. In fact I got two cartridges. I replace one and clean the other, put it on the shelf for a quick replacement if needed at another time. Clean when wet then let it dry. I feel this kills any algae or organisms that may have been living on the filter material.

Leaves should be caught in the baskets and pre-pump filters. It's the organic stuff that gets through that needs to be caught by the cartridge. Size matters here. Still, I have not bought another filters since day one and it seems what I have will last for years and do the job required. The newer, Brand name filters with the smallest pores do the job much better than in the past.

Another thing. I now use an electric, self roaming vacuum that picks up debris rather than sucking them into the pool filter. I used to have to backwash the DE filter 2 or 3 times a year. I cannot remember the last time I cleaned the cartridge filter. I know I cleaned it once so far and that was after some algae grew in the pool.

AEHaas

I have the same Hayward filter (installed March 2004) and have been happy with it. If you’ve been happy with until now, I would just fix it.

Feedback I am getting: go DE. Go with the 1060 or sta-rite system 3 53 sf filter system.

If I stick with Hayward, I can put off valve replacement for a few months.. maybe a year. I am told the system 3 is much easier to clean and maintain altho a couple of people said Hayward builds a more solid housing for its system. I am so confused at this moment. Add to the problem: I cannot get the parts I need for a couple of weeks and we are in COVID lockdown so I need the pool.

So...if replacing, Hayward 6020 or Sta-Rite system 3.. or something else????

Yes, I am that person. I don't really know much about my pool even though I love to float in it. My decade old Hayward 6020 DE filter system is down..it's leaking DE into the pool. The repair is $350 but the parts are two weeks away and we are under COVID lockdown. SO I am thinking of buying a new filter just to get things going again. I am overwhelmed at this point by the options so here is my big question:

Do I stick with the Hayward 6020 even tho its a little harder to clean (meaning my pool guy isn't a fan) and replace it for roughly $850 installed? I will need to replace the aging valve but can do so down the road.
OR
Do I go with a Sta-Rite System 3 53 sf system (S8D110) with a new value for $1150?
OR
Do I go with a Pentair 60 sf system with a new value (no price)?

Does the warranty length matter? I get 3 years with Hayward and 1 year with the others.

Thank you for taking time to read this...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.