Renovation Underway in Philly Suburbs: Update, done!

PhillyRay

Sep 29, 2019
Philadelphia, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Long-time reader, infrequent poster here.

We finally started the renovation of our old pool. The demo work has begun and will hopefully wrap up in the spring.

What we started with:
- 20x40 Sylvan Pool
- Painted Surface (no tiles)
- Precast Concrete Coping
- Concrete Decking
- 1 skimmer and 1 return

What we're getting
- Adding a skimmer and return line
- EP Henry Pewter Blend Bull Nose Pavers for the Coping
- Moonbeam Cobalt tile
- Quartzscapes French Gray Plaster
- Probably going to replace the decking with pavers (still have to work this out)

Some photos of the pool before and during the demo. Hope to update this thread as we make more progress...

Attachments

• pool_1.jpg
    pool_1.jpg
    778.4 KB · Views: 122
  • pool_2.jpg
    pool_2.jpg
    922.7 KB · Views: 120
  • pool_3.jpg
    pool_3.jpg
    988.7 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: kateinvt
You say painted surface... I assume there's plaster under the paint? Make sure you are signed up for and receive a proper full demo. There should be no evidence of the old painted surface. The new surface will not bind well to paint.

I should hope the water table is very low as there's no way you're completing this before the spring. At minimum the hydrostatic valve was either opened or removed to prevent floating the pool.That's a high risk job for a long period of time.

Last edited:
The valve should be removed within the next week. Definitely something I discussed with our contractor before starting.

The idea was to get as much of the prep work done this fall as possible so we can plaster early spring. We’d like to get the new coping installed soon but he will only do it in the right weather conditions

Well its been a few months but we've got some updates here..

- Replaced existing skimmer and added another
- Added another return
- Tile and Coping just went up

Hopefully plaster happens in the next two weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_4670.jpg
    IMG_4670.jpg
    897.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4673.jpg
    IMG_4673.jpg
    755.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4675.jpg
    IMG_4675.jpg
    900.9 KB · Views: 66
Folks... we have plaster and water.

Pool has been full since Friday evening and I'm getting a workout with all the brushing and trying get my pH in balance.

Hopefully the hardscaping gets done within a week. We've had some good pool weather this weekend but its still too soon to swim.

Attachments

• IMG_4766.jpg
    IMG_4766.jpg
    844.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4767.jpg
    IMG_4767.jpg
    902.3 KB · Views: 64
Just an update:

I am *incredibly* sore from brushing this pool twice a day. I greatly underestimated how difficult that part of start up was going to be.

Sorry, just needed to vent that.

Have you heard of the whale tail brush? Many say it is THE brush to get as it makes it easier to brush the pool. Here is just what you need to make your body feel better:
Mug Beers GIF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I actually have that brush! I'm not sure I'd say it makes it easier, it seems to add a lot of resistance which is good for keeping the brush in contact with the surface.

The brush I prefer right now is this "360" design that's really good for getting the corners.

And trust me, I've been rewarding myself with adult beverages in the evening 😎

Have you heard of the whale tail brush? Many say it is THE brush to get as it makes it easier to brush the pool. Here is just what you need to make your body feel better:
Mug Beers GIF

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Oh I love how the colors of the "outlining" came out!!! Well done!!
Thank you! I have to give any design credit to my wife, it was her vision when I said I wanted paver stones

The hardscaping probably took the crew like 6 full working days to complete. Of all the pool renovation takes, this one was singly the most expensive and I guess that’s why.

Reactions: kimkats
Wishing everyone a pleasant holiday.

Heavy swim weekend for us and the family is napping so it was a perfect opportunity to vacuum, backwash and start balancing for the week

Attachments

• 14048373-5603-469A-B465-13CA3815A6D2.jpeg
    14048373-5603-469A-B465-13CA3815A6D2.jpeg
    668 KB · Views: 26
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.