Renovation questions— explain to me like I’m 5 years old!

vapool

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Waiting on a quote to replace the tile, coping, and replaster our gunite pool, and just trying to figure out the nuts and bolts of timing. We’re scheduled to close the pool for the season October 1 (yes, this Monday!) and planned for work to be done after.

Our original plan was to do the work in the spring, before opening. But the contractor said he could either do tile and coping this fall, then plaster in the spring, or do it all at once this fall (which is what he recommends since he foresees a price increase for plaster after the first of the year). But I'm assuming that the pool must be circulating water in order to properly cure the plaster, right? So we would, in effect, have to empty the pool, plaster, fill the pool back up, then reopen the pool long enough to do all the brushing and such to cure the plaster, then close the pool back up. All before the deep freeze hits.

If we just do the tile and coping now, I'm assuming it can be done while the pool is closed, right? And does the pool need to be completely emptied for this, or just a foot or two below the tile line (as it would normally be after closing)?

Or we can just wait until spring and do it all at the same time. What would be the downside to this (other than a potential price increase)? We do get a lot of spring pollen, so my only hesitation is dealing with the potential of pollen settling onto the uncured plaster. Is this a realistic concern? Oh, and since spring is the busiest time for pool builders, we may have some scheduling issues with this...

Sorry if these questions sound so basic, but I'm just really trying to wrap my head around the nuts and bolts of all this!

You do not indicate where you are located, regardless, I would wait till spring, do the renovation, keep the pool open and enjoy it all summer. If the PB puts you on schedule now with a deposit you should get some priority.

You do not want to plaster in the fall when temperatures can drop below 40F. And you need to have the pool open, water circulating, and checking water chemistry for a few months after plastering for best results.

You need to ask your contractor how they can replace tile without draining the pool.

And how is your pool closed? A cover put on it? Pipes plugged? How will that interfere with the planned work?

Where are you located? It matters a lot for the weather conditions that may disrupt the work you are thinking of.

Thanks all! We're located in Virginia and, according to all predictions, are expecting a rough winter. Our pool is totally closed with all pipes plugged, etc., and a Loop-Loc cover, so is kind of a pain to cover and uncover!

Think we'll wait until spring...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.