Camarillo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello!

I am a new member from Camarillo, CA!

I am in the process of getting bids to renovate my pool (photos attached). It's not a big pool, roughly 12k gallons; it is deepest at the center at 5' and only 3' at either end.

At minimum I am looking to resurface and retile, but my wife would like to redo all the brick coping and deck to something more modern (in her opinion). It is a shame since the coping is still in really good shape other than a few of the pieces over the pool cover trench (pool is 20 years old).

Why am I posting? Well, I can really appreciate changing the look of the pool but am worried that redoing all the concrete will result in likelihood of cracks. I have already gotten several quotes and the one we are seriously considering would redo the entire deck (to get rid of the "crazy joint" pattern and brick spa deck in favor of straight line joints and broom finish) , pour in place coping and get rid of the pool cover (more on this later). Is my concern about the cracking unfounded? I currently have no visible cracks (the stamped pattern may look like there is some but they are not cracks).

Regarding the pool cover...

It currently is inoperable due to a broken rope (motor is still fine). I have thought about tearing it out since I moved in to expand the walkway on that side. The vinyl cover itself needs to be replaced as well and I got a quote of $3500 to fix it and replace the vinyl cover. I am only having second thoughts about it when I realize how expensive they are to put in (wondering if I am not being smart about it). I have a pool fence and I really don't get a ton of leaves/debris in the pool. Has anyone removed a pool cover and been happy? Regretted it?

lastly, the stucco retaining wall behind the spa has always looked harsh to me. I am open to any ideas there :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210315_223602724.jpg
    PXL_20210315_223602724.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20210315_223646875.jpg
    PXL_20210315_223646875.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20210326_213345119.jpg
    PXL_20210326_213345119.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to the forum!
I would suggest repairing and keeping the cover. In Camarillo, it will help retain the heat in the pool (cool nights result in cool pool water) along with dramatically reducing evaporation and the need for fill water. Which is not all that inexpensive in Cali.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
I would suggest repairing and keeping the cover. In Camarillo, it will help retain the heat in the pool (cool nights result in cool pool water) along with dramatically reducing evaporation and the need for fill water. Which is not all that inexpensive in Cali.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.