Renovation- hearing conflicting information....

Caracbeara

Sep 7, 2019
Southeast, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello! We’re planning on renovating our old Anthony pool from the 1970s (new finish, new deck, new tile) It’s never been replastered, so you can imagine what it looks like.
We’ve had three different companies come out and give conflicting advice.

pb1: Don’t get glass tiles. They break. Definitely get a concrete cantilever deck again. Plaster finish is fine. Quartz is an upgrade but will last longer if we REALLY want it. They will pressure test the lines.
Pb2: You should replace all of the plumbing. Glass tiles are great. Definitely get a concrete cantilever deck. We only install Pebbletec.
Pb3: Don’t do a cantilever deck. With the freezing of the northeast, it’s better to get coping separate from the deck. Glass tiles are great. We will pressure test the lines. We recommend Pebbletec but it’s really up to you. They will give us quotes for pebble, quartz and plaster.

Our heads are spinning and I’ve been searching threads all week. We’re looking for longevity but don’t want to break the bank.

My questions:
1. Is solid concrete cantilever deck the way to go in the northeast? Should we get a separate coping?
2. Is Pebblefina basically just like a quartz product? What are the pros of it? Pb3 prices it cheaper than some quartz.
3. Have anyone else chosen to replace all plumbing during a renovation? Is that overkill?
4. Right now our Polaris output jet is above the waterline. It makes for a somewhat nice pvc waterfall, but it pushes the water away from our skimmers as they’re all on the same wall. Pb 2 + 3 suggested putting it underwater. Will that help with our skimmer situation?
5. While glass tiles are likely out of budget, do they really break more often?

Thanks in advance!
Pic of pool attached.

Attachments

• D5BEF5EE-482E-4A39-BD97-9F5F1269D3DB.jpeg
    D5BEF5EE-482E-4A39-BD97-9F5F1269D3DB.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 39
I guess it depends on what the mean by "replace the plumbing". If they are talking all of the underground plumbing, that's a major job. I wouldn't do it unless there is a problem with the pressure test. I know 60 year old pools with underground PVC pipes that don't show any signs of leaking

Reactions: Caracbeara
I guess it depends on what the mean by "replace the plumbing". If they are talking all of the underground plumbing, that's a major job. I wouldn't do it unless there is a problem with the pressure test. I know 60 year old pools with underground PVC pipes that don't show any signs of leaking
They were talking about all of the plumbing. Probably why his quote was so high....

This wasn't really conflicting advice you simply got 3 opinions. Go with whichever one you feel most comfortable with. I have heard the glass tiles do crack but if that's out of budget anyway then no biggie. I'd also want the pipes tested before replacing since that'll be a big expense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.