Renovating an old in ground pool

Helen5994

Apr 21, 2021
Caribbean
Hi,
Bought a house with an old in ground pool and have stripped it back and re tiling. The light niche has a pentair light cemented in!!! Dug that out to find we have an old American CN5 niche which is bigger than my new pentair light that i bought. So im trying to find some sort of trim that i can install to take the fitting. The internal diameter is 10" and the screw holes are 10 1/2" diameter. Anyonw have any suggestions? Thanks

Welcome to TFP :)

If you are doing it new and have the ability go to a 1.5 inch nichless light, way easier and better for you in the long run.. it is just a 1.5 inch pipe that the light is screwed into... :)

Not sure how to do the new niche

I probably have the same American niche. When I had my pool resufaced a decade ago, they used wedges to install the new light. But over time, the wedges fell out.

Some equipment failures and an injury resulted in my pool being ignored for 4 or 5 years. I recovered and spent all of last year cleaning the swamp and replacing all of the equipment. Part of that was dealing with the light niche. The only thing that seemed close to working was the CMP stainless steel ring adapter. Was tight, but seemed to work. A link to that part of my project: Light niche step

Of course, this winter, the pool started to leak again - apparently at the niche. In a couple of weeks, a repair company is going to lower the water, cut a hole in the concrete deck and replace the niche. At least the modern lights will fit properly then.

I used the same CMP stainless steel ring on my niche on my Anthony Pool. Everything else was just too tight. Got it to fit with a little pounding as well. When I attached the light, it didn't quite fit flush to the plaster surface, so I cut out an adapter ring about 1/4" thick from a piece of foam rubber that they make those jigsaw squares out of that you can put in your garage or wherever to give you some cushion. It came out pretty good. Just getting the old fixture out was a PITA because it was the original fixture and cord from 1972. You don't know what a relief it was when the old cord finally gave way from all the pulling. I had wrapped it around a 2 foot piece of pvc pipe and I was inside the pool pulling away from the wall with everything I had.:cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.