Removing pool light power

khoidofl

Jul 3, 2020
I recently purchased a home that has an older pool built 18 years ago. This is my first pool. The pool has a 120v pool light that functions just fine. However, my young son constantly mess around with it and yanking it out of the niche. I also feel uneasy having an older light underwater even though I never turn it on at the light switch. I plan to in the future change it to a 12V light.

For now, I would like to remove the pool light wire from the pool power box. I have opened up the pool power box and saw that the pool light wiring has a black and white wire that go to a GFCI outlet. There is a green wire that goes to to an area that all other pool equipment green wires connect to which I believe is the ground area. My question is, is it safe to disconnect all 3 wires from the pool light from the power box and put caps on them? I read that the pool water is usually bonded to the pool light. Would me removing all the wires affect the overall bonding of the pool and the other equipment?

Welcome to TFP :)

The pool light niche should be bonded on the outside of the niche and the 3 wires are only for the light to work... If it were me I would disconnect the white and black wire and install nuts on them and leave the ground/green wire connected...

You could also connect a small wire pulling rope to the end of the wires and pull the light completely out leaving the rope in the pipe to pull the new 12 v light wires back through...

cowboycasey,

Yes, I did think about leaving the green(ground wire) intact but wasn't sure. I will do what you suggest and just disconnect the white and black wire for now. Thank you for your help.

As for pulling the light out, I think I'll wait until when I do the light upgrade to 12V and hire a professional to do this part instead.

The gfi would protect you by tripping almost instantaneously if a fault occurred.
I should know, I fell into my pool with a running 120 v leaf blower plugged into a gfi.
Not only did it save me, but after drying out, the leaf blower was good as new. Gfi protected outlets are more than a necessity in wet locations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.