Removing in-ground "anchors" of oval pool

Onslow

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2010
Kentucky
I am tearing down my oval pool and am finally getting to where I can get at the vertical metal that support the steel pool wall.

There is a separate column of metal nested inside each vertical. They look like they've been driven into the ground. Before I go any further with this I was wondering if anyone could tell me best practice for removing these?

Much appreciated and thank you!

Narrow yard or regular oval? Took my narrow yard down this summer. You will have to pull out the part that is buried horizontally if a narrow yard. We rocked back and forth to loosen up and then pulled out. This was at the end of day 1.

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_092713.jpg
    IMG_20210920_092713.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 15
You know what model pool it is?

Show us pics of what you have.

Those 45 degree braces should have a bottom piece connecting them to the legs like a triangle. Mine came out by rocking them like said above, but you could help that along by digging/removing some of the dirt in that area. Each one also had a buttress connecting the left and right sides under the pool.

Buttress or straps running beneath the sand bottom tying the two side together to prevent push out at the bottom of the sides. I also had large corrugated plates at each upright below the pool, I guess stopping the top from bowing outward. you can see one in the picture.

I had over a thousand pounds of steel.scrap steel.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
I only got $75 for the steel. Had about 175 lbs of aluminum and got $90. My son got the aluminium $ as payment for 2 days of hard work for both of us. He's really good with a SawZall.

• Wow
Reactions: Onslow
$800 is a great price. Both the pool and deck are physical jobs with many four letter words yelled. Add in a dozen bumps cuts and bruises and yeah. Then you have massive piles to remove and have to pay to dispose of the lumber and only get peanuts for the metals. Mine was $6 per 100lbs at the scrap yard. Hardly worth the loading/unloading/hauling efforts but better than paying the dump to take it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Onslow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also scrapped 200 ft of 4 ft chain link that was around the old pool for $65. I got a flat from the scrap yard and adding air make it to the tire place broke the old steel valve stem. $25 for a patch and $160 for a new TPMS valve stem (plus tax)...... I paid $140 to 'sell' my scrap. 🤦‍♂️

• Wow
Reactions: JoeSelf and Onslow
If you are still doing it yourself, and you are trying to get driven supports out of the ground, a farm jack is a big help.

If you don't have access to a farm jack, you can use a 2x4 as a lever. Place a cement block about 6in from the post. loop a strap around the post, tuck the end of the 2x4 under the strap (for added assurance you can even notch the end of the 2x4 a bit), put the 2x4 over the cement block and push down on the long end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Onslow and Newdude
I think I may need the farm jack.

The $800 quote is stale. Another guy (who took a closer assessment) wants nearly $3k to demo the pool and deck + haul away. There is a retaining wall involved that needs to be torn down so that may include leaving earth in a presentable state until I can get the wall replaced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.