Removing Fiberglass Pool Installing Gunite Pool

Tiles-you should keep some and put them on a bench or a clay pot to remember the old pool by.
We are installing the old pool's hand rail by the new stairs to honor its memory and help us drag our persons out of the pool.

I really like rocks - our part of Texas does not have large rocks naturally. (I don't think there are any ugly rocks - just rocks in the wrong place:cool:) The tile guy did a great job, colorful stones in the mix make for a challenge. They are supposed to come back today to grout - I guess they will do the toe markers on the steps and bench at that point?

Its been a busy week! The tile guys did an awesome job and did adhere my step markers when they came to do the grout the following day. The step and swim shelf tiles were not on their work order, they did have to call their boss. I am really hoping these will help my dogs be braver about entering the pool, they made them 2"x2" for me. I thought that would be our entire pool work week (our PB hands out a 9 week schedule). The plumbers surprised us and showed up on Thursday for long plumbing and equipment set up. We are keeping a cooler of water bottles on ice for the workers, Sprite was added after we asked the tile guys if we could get them anything. The tile people did such a beautiful job of mixing the travertine tiles. I really want my travertine coping to be the "star" of the show out there. I was ready to jump in and do the layout myself if necessary. I watched him do the planned layout, he was really good - so I got out of his way:epds:IMG_6824.jpg

Now with plumbing done and equipment set, we still need decking layout, decking, the electrician and plaster. The homework folder my PB gave me ahead of time had warned me that the schedule could jump around and people could show up unannounced. He was correct, we just stay in ready mode. The plumbers caught us by surprise we didn't expect to see more work done so quickly after the tile.

Last edited:
I am loving that coping! He did a GREAT job! So nice that he was skilled and aware enough to mix and match the coping like he did. I like how they made the 2x2 and turned them on the point! Adds a flare to it.

Got to love people showing up to work......would be nicer if you knew they were coming but it is what it is..........work DONE!

Have we talked about hair nets for the skimmer to help catch dog hair? If not here is a link to them: Amazon.com: 100 PCS--21", Disposable Bouffant (Hair Net) Caps, Spun-Bounded Poly, Hair Head Cover Net, Non-Woven, Medical, Labs, Nurse, Tattoo, Food Service, Health, Hospital: Gateway

Kim:kim:

I am loving that coping! He did a GREAT job! So nice that he was skilled and aware enough to mix and match the coping like he did. I like how they made the 2x2 and turned them on the point! Adds a flare to it.

Got to love people showing up to work......would be nicer if you knew they were coming but it is what it is..........work DONE!

Have we talked about hair nets for the skimmer to help catch dog hair? If not here is a link to them: Amazon.com: 100 PCS--21", Disposable Bouffant (Hair Net) Caps, Spun-Bounded Poly, Hair Head Cover Net, Non-Woven, Medical, Labs, Nurse, Tattoo, Food Service, Health, Hospital: Gateway

Thanks for the suggestion, I did receive a surprise pack of these from my pool savvy friend this week :wave:I have been quite lucky, she has had my back this ENTIRE pool project.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
This update is way overdue. We had electrical and plumbing installed pretty much on the heels of the tile workers. The big pause came after plumbing and electrical as we waited nearly two weeks for our decking to be framed. The framers finally sent an early crew to scope out the site. The early crew discovered that our concrete pour was going to have to be done differently, costing more than had been budgeted for in the contract. The sales person who did our contract never did come out to our site in person before the contract was signed. If he had he would have seen that we have a slope on the deep end side. I had offered him pictures from all sides - he was happy to just have the overhead shots from the guesthouse stairs. The pool company is having the sales person who made the error pay for the increased cost. That was a relief, well, for us anyway.

The deck framers framed us out on Monday - looks so much more like a future pool with the decking frame added. We got the call earlier today - tomorrow they plan to pour the deck. Our deck will be a simple brushed concrete. The deck framers did knock a corner off of one of my travertine coping tiles. It will be replaced and the pool company "back charges" the framers for the breakage. If the concrete gets poured tomorrow we will be back on track timewise. The contract says 45 days from excavation, not counting weekends or rain delays.

We have been very fortunate with the pool builder we choose. Our project manager checks on the site frequently and is always here for big events. Communication is frequent and response time to our inquiries has been fast.

Our grandson now looks at the pool and says "still working on it", at least he looks more hopeful. He has had to make do with a blow up pool since the old pool was demolished. With our pool umbrella and pool chairs set up around the blow up pool we might look a little comical to the neighbors these days. Of course we have the blow up kiddie pool in the front yard to keep him away from the construction mess.:paddle:

IMG_6909.jpgIMG_6910.jpg

We have been very fortunate with the pool builder we choose. Our project manager checks on the site frequently and is always here for big events. Communication is frequent and response time to our inquiries has been fast.
The pool company is having the sales person who made the error pay for the increased cost
It will be replaced and the pool company "back charges" the framers for the breakage.
This is how ALL PB should be! Good job finding and using him!! I like his style!! I would have LOVED to be there when they "talked" to the sales guy and wonder how much long he will have a job there????

Of course we have the blow up kiddie pool in the front yard to keep him away from the construction mess.
TEASE!! Where are our pictures of this cuteness???

• Love
Reactions: RuralTexas

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:shock: WHAT??? Decking?? Plaster?? OH MY! A LOT of work done!! LOVE it all!!! I LOVE your coping! So many pretty colors. It would be fun to just look at each one and see what "pictures" you could find.

Did you get a hand print?

Okay here is your next "job".........put a sock on the end of the hoses to protect your plaster from the metal on the end of the hoses. Make sure the hose ends are right at the main drain cover so the water does not flow down and cause channeling of the new plaster.

When the water is started to fill the pool do NOT stop it for any reason!! Stopping it could cause a ring around the plaster that is next to impossible to remove :(

:shock: WHAT??? Decking?? Plaster?? OH MY! A LOT of work done!! LOVE it all!!! I LOVE your coping! So many pretty colors. It would be fun to just look at each one and see what "pictures" you could find.

Did you get a hand print?

Okay here is your next "job".........put a sock on the end of the hoses to protect your plaster from the metal on the end of the hoses. Make sure the hose ends are right at the main drain cover so the water does not flow down and cause channeling of the new plaster.

When the water is started to fill the pool do NOT stop it for any reason!! Stopping it could cause a ring around the plaster that is next to impossible to remove :(

Thanks so much Miss Kim! I did immediately point out that they needed to wrap the hose ends and they went back and did it.:hammer:

We did not get a handprint or foot print. We tried, it was too late.

Thanks, I do love my coping tile - I am sure we will find lots of shapes to point out with the little one. When it’s all done and my grass grows back, it will be quite lovely, in the meantime my pool looks a little plain to most people. I do like the simplicity - still working towards the tranquil setting plan.

We will probably add faux Austin stone to the back and deep end sides that are way above ground. Husband wanted Austin stone itself, tile guy said that was not the best way to go with our slope. One subcontractor did our tile and coping, framing and deck. We are so pleased with their attention to detail we want to hire them for those raised areas.

Today was acid wash and electrician installing lights. Pool is filling now. We still need final site clean up people to arrive.

Our Lab is thrilled. We’ve been practicing the steps since the gunite was poured. Both dog and grandson departed the water reluctantly.

Love that coping! If you don't mind, PM me the PB? I know your handle says rural, but Houston area. We're east Houston and have 3 bids in progress. I believe I know the name of your PB, based on the T-shirt in one of the pics, but their attention to detail and ownership of the process really makes me want to reach out for a bid, as we've not contacted them yet.

BUT MOM!! I KNOW you built this for ME!!!! LOL so sweet to see the love of the pool already! SO glad you have already been working knowing where the steps are!

I would stick with the LS since you KNOW they do great work!! Keep them in the "family"!!

I worried it would be too late for the hand print. Oh well there is always making stepping stones for around the pool! He could do one for each hand, foot, AND of his fanny!!! :roll: hehe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.