Removing Fiberglass Pool Installing Gunite Pool

all of the Labradors in the neighborhood taking a dip in the pond a couple of times a day
LOL that would also be heaven on Earth to me as well!!! Our mastiff/lab mix LOVES the pond. We have a towel just for him for when he wants to come inside after being in the pond. He is WAY too big to even try to get out of the pool. He can get in just fine but would need help getting out.

Our pond is about dried up. We have not had any rain for a while and it has been record hot the past two weeks :( We will be picking Bullet at plastic pool so he can cool off in it when the pond is gone.

Kim:kim:

There may be a cure for my gunite envy on the way. I am currently scheduled for gunite tomorrow.:goodjob: Let's hope the weather holds.....

I should mention that my pool builder experience has been quite positive so far. Any questions I text or email have always gotten responses right away. I haven't needed to call anyone. There are a team of them, the sales person/pool designer, the project manager, the overall construction manager and the contractor scheduler. Everyone has been in constant contact with us. From what I had been told the sales person would disappear, that hasn't happened......yet.:shark:

Tomorrow??? SWEET!!! Will you be able to be there? Quite often they will have ideas or concerns that are best address by the home owner. Having a cooler full of drinks and yummies on a table my help them really do a great job for you!!

Reactions: Chickinvic
For sure you want to be there and watch the whole thing. We made some minor design changes as they were spraying that made a big difference. They also almost forgot a bench but we were there to tell them so it got put in.

Tomorrow??? SWEET!!! Will you be able to be there? Quite often they will have ideas or concerns that are best address by the home owner. Having a cooler full of drinks and yummies on a table my help them really do a great job for you!!

We will be here - husband agreed to supply a large cooler of water bottles on ice. I am hoping whoever is doing ours hasn't been dining on brisket at other builds. They will be pretty disappointed.

• Haha
For sure you want to be there and watch the whole thing. We made some minor design changes as they were spraying that made a big difference. They also almost forgot a bench but we were there to tell them so it got put in.
What kind of things can you change at this point? I will be on top of them right away to make sure they rebar the unneeded openings for can lights on the ends. My lights are low voltage LED and both are on the house side. I swim laps I don't want to be swimming at lights, mainly I would prefer to just see the glow of the lights from the house without seeing the lights themselves.

It is TOMORROW!!!! Are they there yet??????????

You can have them roll the edges of the benches instead of sharp 90 corners if wanted. They might change a beach entry into a step (yeah one did that but the PO was there to have them fix it right away). They might want to extend this or that and have a good reason. You just never know what they come up with good or bad.

Remember the old design?? Make sure they have the new one as soon as they step out of the truck.

LOL on the brisket! I also think they got some breakfast tacos a time or two!

What kind of things can you change at this point? I will be on top of them right away to make sure they rebar the unneeded openings for can lights on the ends. My lights are low voltage LED and both are on the house side. I swim laps I don't want to be swimming at lights, mainly I would prefer to just see the glow of the lights from the house without seeing the lights themselves.

Like Kim said - the benches and entry. Mainly the sunshelf which was supposed to have steps all the way across it. We saw how much of the surface that took up so tightened it up to just big enough for a person or 2 to walk down. See my sigline pics. Imagine the size of the sunshelf if those stairs carried all the way over to the other side. We had a good crew though too they actually took it upon themselves to change a couple things like how the deep end swimout steps molded together smoothly.

It is TOMORROW!!!! Are they there yet??????????

You can have them roll the edges of the benches instead of sharp 90 corners if wanted. They might change a beach entry into a step (yeah one did that but the PO was there to have them fix it right away). They might want to extend this or that and have a good reason. You just never know what they come up with good or bad.

Remember the old design?? Make sure they have the new one as soon as they step out of the truck.

LOL on the brisket! I also think they got some breakfast tacos a time or two!

They are NOT here yet. We didn't think any crews out of Houston would make it way out here before 8 - until the steel guys showed up at 7! We are ready. This is good to know, I am worried that my deep end swim shelf is not deep enough - it looks so small.

Like Kim said - the benches and entry. Mainly the sunshelf which was supposed to have steps all the way across it. We saw how much of the surface that took up so tightened it up to just big enough for a person or 2 to walk down. See my sigline pics. Imagine the size of the sunshelf if those stairs carried all the way over to the other side. We had a good crew though too they actually took it upon themselves to change a couple things like how the deep end swimout steps molded together smoothly.
Our old pool had the wedding cake stairs that took up the entire shallow end. This pool will have corner stairs with a bench. Since I swim lengths, I wanted a clear swim lane from end to end. While most people say 40' minimum for length swimming, I have been happy for many years in a 32' pool that probably had 29' for swimming length. An addition of a possible 5 ft will make me quite happy. I have both benches on the house side as I want the far side - the view from the house side- to be simple, just water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here they are currently, the stairs and the swim shelf. No sign of gunite folk yet, one false alarm, it was the company that picks up our garbage. Heart was racing for a few minutes.....

Making friends is a good idea. We usually do pretty well as we appreciate our workers around here. While we don't feed them, we genuinely respect them. Having had to "resurface" nearly everything in our 37 year old home the past few years as we prepped for retirement -the bathrooms, kitchen, ceilings, floors and building a guesthouse- some of our construction people have become family friends.IMG_6765.jpgIMG_6767.jpg

They can extend it quite a bit with the gunite if you want. Do you have any 2x6 boards you could put down on that to see how your feet feel on it? Or just take a tape measure and see how wide it is now to see how that compares to your feel or any steps in your house. How wide are house steps?? hummmmmmmm will have to look that up!

They can extend it quite a bit with the gunite if you want. Do you have any 2x6 boards you could put down on that to see how your feet feel on it? Or just take a tape measure and see how wide it is now to see how that compares to your feel or any steps in your house. How wide are house steps?? hummmmmmmm will have to look that up!

Miss Kim, How much is quite a bit for the swim shelf? 12 inches? 24 inches? I do feel okay about the width of the steps since I have a bench connected to them.

Looks like you picked a top notch company to do the work! Nice to see the "boss"on hand. Most of the builds they only show up for the checks :(

How is the "trouble" areas looking? What did they say when your brought them up?

THANKS to @bdavis466 to sharing his knowledge. He is a Master Pool Builder that has retired from it. I am SO happy he has stuck with me to help answer questions like this! I will have to dig up his last pool build to share with you and his current personal yard/patio work for his personal home/pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.