Removing Baja Deck umbrella sleeve

sh9730

Apr 17, 2016
Casa Grande, AZ
OK - so learned an important lesson today - do not leave your umbrella in the sleeve in the baja deck forever! We actually have 4 sleeves - 3 on the cooldeck and then one in the water in the 6" baja deck. Dust devil came in today and pulled two of our umbrellas up so high neighbors could see them in the air - but the one in the baja deck just snapped over because the pole was a little bit rusted - By the way, you cannot predict these dust devils - today was not a particurlarly windy day in general at at 90 degrees outside we were enjoying the Saturday!

Anyway, current problem is the very bottom of the umbrella - maybe 8" at most is now lodged in the plastic sleeve. I am hesitant to "pry" the sleeve out in fear of damaging the pebble.....but I cannot think of a way to get it out otherwise....suggestions?

Got lucky - was able to remove the inside pole remnants without damaging the sleeve or the pool. My guess is I WOULD have had to drain the baja deck and then put some lubricant in there or something.

As a side not - my neighbor down the street got video of my umbrella a hundred or so feet in the air and her kids thinking it was a tornado! Not sure where it ever came down - hopefully did not cause any damage.

• Wow
Reactions: Snoobug
Anytime my umbrella is not in use, it has a bungee cord around it to prevent a gust from popping it open. Or better yet, taken down and stored.
My neighbor thought his was stolen, until a few days later, someone asked: “Why do you have an umbrella on your roof?”.

• Wow
Reactions: Snoobug
Anytime my umbrella is not in use, it has a bungee cord around it to prevent a gust from popping it open. Or better yet, taken down and stored.
My neighbor thought his was stolen, until a few days later, someone asked: “Why do you have an umbrella on your roof?”.
Yeah - for two reasons we will at a minimum take them down in winter - the wind being one - although we WERE in fact enjoying the pool when this occurred - you cant really predict the dust devils, but more importantly we don't want the poles to rot/rust again and cause this problem. Even the umbrellas on the deck get grungy and rusty because we hose down the deck etc. and water gets in the sleeve - not as badly as the one in the baja deck of course - but still. Lessons learned. Our previous pools did not have sleeves.

I only put my umbrellas in the sleeve when I’m actually going to use it. Otherwise they are stored laying down behind my deck box.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.