Chesapeake, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
When picking up some anti-freeze, the local store mentioned that I should remove my filter housing pressure gage for the winter (Southern Virginia here). Any idea why I would have to remove it? Can't imagine why. Thanks!

Depending on the type of oil/filler in the gauge, often times they get stuck or their calibration gets thrown off. TFTestkits has very good glycerin-filled gauges that are more resistant to hard freezes. Even then, it's easy to be safe and unscrew the gauge during closing, then just re-attach it in the spring with a 2-3 wraps of Teflon tape.

What actually happens is that a small amount of water gets into the bourdon tube and due to the orientation of the gauge (especially back mount gauges) it doesn't drain out so during a freeze the water freezes and deforms the tube causing the gauge to read incorrectly or not at all. This is especially true for back mounted gauges mounted vertically.

Some filters use back mounted gauges mounted horizontally recessed into the top housing and those aren't as susceptible to holding water in them. Also, bottom mounted gauges mounted vertically nipple down, aren't as prone to holding water in them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.