Remotely controlling heater through smartphone

Do you have any existing automation system? Most major automation systems have modules that can help with this. I don’t think it’s possible to control just the heater because they work in conjunction with pumps to make sure there is flow through the heater.

Yes it is call an automation system. There is a small system called a HeaterReader but it is around $800 and for that kind of money you might as well just go full blown automation. It is an interesting product in how/where it installs but again, $800, isn't a cheap alternative to automation.

I designed a custom zwave automation system that contols my pumps, heater, lights and valves using the smartthings platform. Smartphone integration is pretty much perfect. A little daunting if you're not up for a science project, though...

FWIW, I used a intermatic zwave system for many years to control my raypak heater.

This system has a relay that closes to turn the heater on. You need to look at the heater installation manual, and be able to figure out what to wire up.

I also have a hayward heater for my spa, and it can also be wired for remote control.

Both the hayward and raypak heaters have a place to add 2-3 wires. You turn on the relay (creates a short between the wires), and this turns the heater on.

So its actually pretty simple, if you know what you're doing. This is how they let other automation systems control these devices.

I designed a custom zwave automation system that contols my pumps, heater, lights and valves using the smartthings platform. Smartphone integration is pretty much perfect. A little daunting if you're not up for a science project, though...
I have my pump automated with smartthings but would love to automate the heater. Have you posted any information on how to do that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.