Reluctant to add CYA

JWoodstock

May 31, 2019
Woodstock, Ct
After 2 years of battling with my pool water, I found TFP. It has been a wonderful learning experience. I had CYA level in the 80-90 range I completely replaced my pool water and started fresh with a good understanding of the relationship between chlorine and CYA. My water has never looked so good. The pool is crystal clear. No algae issues and opening was a breeze requiring only a 3 day slam. I do a chlorine drop test almost daily. I like to know that the FC is around 3 and the CC I like at .5. To keep these numbers, my pool requires about 2-3 cups of chlorine daily. I have not added any CYA to the water. My TFP test kit indicates less then 10 ppm of CYA in the water. I’m reluctant to add conditioner. I’m convinced CYA buildup was my major problems for so many years. Would a small amount of conditioner help with my daily chlorine loss. And suggestion on type of conditioner/CYA. Also I have a vinyl liner pool, is there any benefit to increasing my calcium numbers. I’ll post my TFP test results. Thoughts and guidance is appreciated

Attachments

• 66A75224-BDC1-44E2-AE2F-271FD7B84F9C.png
    66A75224-BDC1-44E2-AE2F-271FD7B84F9C.png
    425.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 3F2D6940-C3CD-4CE0-B1DD-2DD8DB82A5F7.png
    3F2D6940-C3CD-4CE0-B1DD-2DD8DB82A5F7.png
    425.3 KB · Views: 9
  • E53C3F4F-311D-4E83-BBDD-585AC55C741D.jpeg
    E53C3F4F-311D-4E83-BBDD-585AC55C741D.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 8
J,

You need to get your CYA up to 30 ppm or so..

CYA is what protects your chlorine from the sun.. It will drastically reduce your chlorine demand.

Just make sure you follow this chart for the proper FC to CYA relationship. FC/CYA Levels

We don't make the number up because we like Math, there is a reason for each of them.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I understand your reluctance after dealing with high cya issues. Now that you are using liquid chlorine the potential for cya increasing is not there. You do need to get your cya level up higher to curb daily chlorine loss during the heat of summer. Creep up slowly on your target by adding half doses at a time so you don't overshoot. Non salt water generator users can run up to 50 cya. Calcium level is not much of a concern with a vinyl pool unless the level is extremely high ( over 500). 50 ppm calcium is ideal for vinyl liners but there is really no need to increase yours; it may increase slightly on it's own over time. Recommended chemical levels by surface type

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.