Relocation of pool light junction box, bonding cable question

Trdavis

Feb 1, 2023
Tampa Florida
Hi guys
i’m in the process of moving the junction box for my pool light. When I opened the box, I found a bonding wire from the light along with the light cable. both running through the gray pvc conduit From the light. another conduit with 3 wires coming from the transformer on the side of the house. I’m replacing the light and extending the cables to the new cable junction box location. My question is how to extend the bonding wire. Can this wire be spliced in the inside the conduit? Or should I run a new wire from the light housing. The wire appears to be attached to the light housing but I don’t see a way to remove it and replace it. Looking for options. I have the pool drained so I think this is a perfect time to do this. I will attach some pictures of the light housing and the connection to the Bonding wire.

Attachments

• IMG_8319.jpeg
    IMG_8319.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8318.jpeg
    IMG_8318.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8317.jpeg
    IMG_8317.jpeg
    526.4 KB · Views: 31
Hi guys
i’m in the process of moving the junction box for my pool light. When I opened the box, I found a bonding wire from the light along with the light cable. both running through the gray pvc conduit From the light. another conduit with 3 wires coming from the transformer on the side of the house. I’m replacing the light and extending the cables to the new cable junction box location. My question is how to extend the bonding wire. Can this wire be spliced in the inside the conduit? Or should I run a new wire from the light housing. The wire appears to be attached to the light housing but I don’t see a way to remove it and replace it. Looking for options. I have the pool drained so I think this is a perfect time to do this. I will attach some pictures of the light housing and the connection to the Bonding wire.
You're not likely going to be able to remove the bond from the bond lug, the encapsulation seems to have failed and it is very corroded.

If you have a low voltage light, you don't need the bonding jumper/supplemental ground.

Edit: The code might require the bonding jumper if it does not specify an exception for low voltage.

Therefore, I would keep the bonding jumper unless you can verify with your local inspector that it is not required.

Last edited:
1683216572750.png
1683216693823.png
Listed low-voltage luminaires not requiring grounding do not require a ground.

In my opinion, this means that the bonding jumper/supplemental ground is not required because its purpose is grounding, not bonding.

The bonding lug is provided at the back/outside of the niche and the niche should be bonded from the back/external lug.

However, this might not be specified in your local code.

The code might require the bonding jumper if it does not specify any exception for low voltage.

Therefore, I would keep the bonding jumper unless you can verify with your local inspector that it is not required.

1683217152789.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Trdavis
Thank you everyone, I’m going to keep the bonding wire just in case. Splice right at the binding post and encapsulate it all. That way the wire is there incase ever needed. Don’t plan on seeing the inside of this light housing again… lol
Thank you everyone for all the info.!!

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.