Refurbishing my vinyl in-ground pool and equipment. Advice please :-)

Definingk

Jul 7, 2022
Edmonton, Alberta
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm replacing the liner, skimmer, pump, heater, chlorinator and probably some other stuff too!
There's a lot to unpack here so feel free to just pick and choose any or all...

1) It's a 14 x 28' vinyl pool 8' deep with a small shallow end. Estimate 55,000 Litres. We are removing the entire concrete pad that surrounds the pool so we will have access to the return pipes, skimmer etc.
For some reason several years ago the liner around the skimmer became stained with a rust colour that bled downward in streaks and also stained the plastic of the skimmer. Does anyone know why this happened and how I can prevent it happening again?

2) Pump: From what I have read here I only need a full rated .5 HP pump. Should I get a 2 speed? Traditionally I run the pump 24/7

3) Heater: I have a Raypak RP2100 from 2002 so I think It should be replaced Ideas on good replacements?

4) I want to convert to a SWG system. My pool is by a forest and we struggle with a lot of organics; Spruce pollen blooms, Poplar tree fluff, cat tails, etc. so wondering if I should go with a system that is 3x the size? What are some brands you Pros recommend?
I also want an automated system that controls the chlorine and pH automatically. Because my chlorine can bounce around I'd like the system to monitor itself.

5) It's an oval pool with plastic wedding cake steps built in and they need replacing. Any thoughts on the latest options?

Thanks for your help!! :)

Attachments

• IMG_7142.jpg
    IMG_7142.jpg
    917.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7144.jpg
    IMG_7144.jpg
    784.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7146.jpg
    IMG_7146.jpg
    810.6 KB · Views: 10
Should I get a 2 speed? Traditionally I run the pump 24/7 .... I want to convert to a SWG system.

Get a VSP, there's no point in getting a two speed pump these days. The VSP can run slower, use less power, and still provide enough flow to run a SWCG and provide skimming action.

You will want a SWCG that is rated for *at least* 2x your pool size, but we generally recommend to just go with the biggest you can. Since you have no automation, the world is pretty much your oyster as far as which SWCG manufacturer you want to go with. Many people around here like the CircuPool systems.

Reactions: Definingk
I'm replacing the liner, skimmer, pump, heater, chlorinator and probably some other stuff too!
There's a lot to unpack here so feel free to just pick and choose any or all...

1) It's a 14 x 28' vinyl pool 8' deep with a small shallow end. Estimate 55,000 Litres. We are removing the entire concrete pad that surrounds the pool so we will have access to the return pipes, skimmer etc.
For some reason several years ago the liner around the skimmer became stained with a rust colour that bled downward in streaks and also stained the plastic of the skimmer. Does anyone know why this happened and how I can prevent it happening again?

2) Pump: From what I have read here I only need a full rated .5 HP pump. Should I get a 2 speed? Traditionally I run the pump 24/7

3) Heater: I have a Raypak RP2100 from 2002 so I think It should be replaced Ideas on good replacements?

4) I want to convert to a SWG system. My pool is by a forest and we struggle with a lot of organics; Spruce pollen blooms, Poplar tree fluff, cat tails, etc. so wondering if I should go with a system that is 3x the size? What are some brands you Pros recommend?
I also want an automated system that controls the chlorine and pH automatically. Because my chlorine can bounce around I'd like the system to monitor itself.

5) It's an oval pool with plastic wedding cake steps built in and they need replacing. Any thoughts on the latest options?

Thanks for your help!! :)
A VSP for certain. If you want chlorination AND pH control, the Hayward AquaRite Pro AQR15-PRO-SD 40K Salt Cell & Sense and Dispense is available. Not inexpensive.
Does the heater still work well? If not and you want to replace it a new RayPak will basically slide into its place with minimal if any replumbing.

super, thanks! I'll look into Circu
A VSP for certain. If you want chlorination AND pH control, the Hayward AquaRite Pro AQR15-PRO-SD 40K Salt Cell & Sense and Dispense is available. Not inexpensive.
Does the heater still work well? If not and you want to replace it a new RayPak will basically slide into its place with minimal if any replumbing.
Thanks for the advice! I'll check out that Hayward. I was told my heater was not salt water compatible plus it's pretty old so I'll upgrade to a mid efficient heater.

super, thanks! I'll look into Circu

Thanks for the advice! I'll check out that Hayward. I was told my heater was not salt water compatible plus it's pretty old so I'll upgrade to a mid efficient heater.
If anyone tells you a heater is not "salt-water compatible," your next step should be to thank them politely and never listen to anything else they may have to say. If you have ever used any type of chlorine in your pool, especially liquid, there is already salt in the pool. Sometimes, if all that has ever been used is liquid and tablets, there is enough to run an SWG without adding any salt. The salinity required for chlorine generation by an SWG is just over a third of the salinity of tears, between +/-3000 and +/-5000 ppm. Tears are, on average 9000ppm. Perspiration about the same.
Unless you buy a Hi-E (Jandy) or equivalent. All new heaters are in the same efficiency range as the one you have

+1. Salt water has 10X the salinity of either pool water. So maybe don't dunk your heater in the ocean, that'd probably be bad. Run pool water though it all you want.

Reactions: Definingk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.