Refinish methods: bond coat vs hydro demo plaster prep

Mar 2, 2014
Dallas
Refinish methods: bond coat vs. hydro demo plaster prep

Thoughts on bond coat vs. hydro demo plaster prep?
Here are some links on process. It seems in some cases manufacturer of hydro machine recommendes bond coat after hydro (when lower hydro pressure used)

https://www.poolspanews.com/how-to/design-construction/water-jetting_o

Waterblasting / Sandblasting - Pool Plaster and Paint Removal - Puraqua Pool Service - Waltham, MA - Phone: (781) 893-6300

Homeowners Guide to Pool Replastering - YouTube

Thanks
Cd

Re: Refinish methods: bond coat vs. hydro demo plaster prep

Please Read This BEFORE You Post and put details about your pool in your signature. It will give us context to better answer your questions.

- How old is your plaster?
- Is the plaster original or has it been replastered before?
- What is the condition of the current plaster? Will it give a solid base for new plaster?

Chipouts before new plaster seems to a a bit of a regional preference. In some areas that seems to be the default, in other areas a second layer of plaster will be put on a bond coat unless the customer negotiates a chip out.

Either way I believe a bond coat should be used on whatever surface has been preped.

Allen,
Not trying to be boorish with response, just wanting open discussion on technical aspects instead of marketing hoopla.

My pool is not relevant for this thread
If different situations require different methods in regards to hydro no bond coat or bond coat, then scenarios that require a deferent method would be helpful.

Chip out was not part of the thoughts, however if you like we can add chipout / subjective chip out of hollow-spots - that’s works.

Why do you believe a bond coat should be used for high pressure hydro when manufacture states not required?
Cheers
Cd

Why do you believe a bond coat should be used for high pressure hydro when manufacture states not required?

As the article you linked to says:

“[The manufacturer] has told us that as rough as it is, you really don’t need to put on a bond coat,” says Dave Schilli, president of Schilli Plastering Co. in St. Louis. “But for the couple hundred dollars that you spend in bond coat material and application, it’s just not worth it, in my mind, to be taking a risk.”

It is a new process. I have no idea of the experience of the contractor and I have no interest in my pool being a guinea pig for their learning. I have no confidence of the manufacturer or contractor standing behind their warranty if there are adhesion problems. Too many stories here of pool builders who walked away from problems leaving the owner with little recourse. And even if they did the fix would still be a hassle and cost.

So I see few downsides and major benefits to me to insist on a bond coat regardless of the type of surface prep that is done.

Bond coats drastically prevent delamination on new or remodeled pools.

Equally (if not more advantageous), most bond coats are also waterproofing agents and are flexible enough to allow for decoupling of the plaster from the shell. Something that is not widely known or discussed is that plaster has a significantly higher compressive strength (8-9,000 PSI) compared to the shell (3-5,000 PSI) and because of this the two materials can have slightly different expansion characteristics which can be problematic in certain situations.

BaseCrete is probably one of the the best products to use although there are several other materials that are worthy options.

Basecrete

Thanks Brian,
If a good quality bond coat is used (not some home made coat), one of the specs states waterproof layer is created. Given that, does a bond coat prevent rust through from rebar?

What are your thoughts of hydro prep? It apprears the process would create a constant uniform surface for bond coat and/or plaster/pebble
Cd

Correct, the rust issues are drastically prevented if not completely eliminated.

Hydro blasting is the preferred method around here for the very reason you mentioned. Traditional chip outs leave a very rough surface (which isn't a bad thing for the new plaster to adhere to) but makes applying the bond coat very difficult and wastes a bunch of the expensive bond coat material.

I'm having my 12 yo pool re-plastered with quartz finish and the pb is making a point out of using Basecrete instead of Bond Kote. Is there value in this distinction? If so, how much $ for a 550 sq. ft surface? I do have some small spots of black algae, but I wouldn't think that matters.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.