Refilling contaminated pool

Jul 13, 2015
Livingston, Louisiana
Hi,
I fortunately have not had to get on the forum in a long time because everything in my pool has been great since I finally figured out the Trouble Free Bleach method. But recently we had a large pitbull dog drown in our pool and had to empty it out and scrub down with bleach. I have now refilled the pool and turned the pump back on and in the process of vacuuming excess leaves that fell in and a small amount of residue that formed on the bottom from the pump being off, but have put nothing in yet. My readings are as follows:

pH = 8.2+
CL = 0
FC = 0
TA = 160
CYA = 0

Not sure why the TA and pH is so high, maybe because I have put nothing in? In any case I was going to start with a gallon of liquid stabilizer and a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine and test again in a couple of hours. Is this a good start or should I be doing something else?

Hi!
I highly recommend you use Pool Math to figure how much of your chemicals you need to add. You can put in the pool volume and your target numbers, and it will tell you how much of each to add. There is also a spot at the bottom that you can use to see the effects of adding chemicals. This way there is no guess work. You can always undershoot a little bit.

If you had good success with your previous TFP levels, those can be your targets.

The reason your water is prob high TA and high pH is you have alkaline water. Try running your water source for awhile, then take a sample. For future water additions, you will know immediately the impact of what your water does to your pool when it's balanced. My City water is has CH of 150, pH 7.5 and zero TA...it's all different...

Good luck and sorry about the dog - tstex

Thanks, Nursenini, I do use Pool Math and yes, it does help to know the amounts to put in. I am adding stabilizer and bleach slowly and the numbers have improved. The pH and TA are still high but I bought some acid today and will put in amount suggested by Pool Math calculator.

The reason your water is prob high TA and high pH is you have alkaline water. Try running your water source for awhile, then take a sample. For future water additions, you will know immediately the impact of what your water does to your pool when it's balanced. My City water is has CH of 150, pH 7.5 and zero TA...it's all different...

Yes, I did test the water before adding anything and have had it tested before by the pool store too, and have taken that into consideration.

The dog wasn't mine; not sure who he belonged to or where he came from. We think he went after a stray cat that sleeps on my deck and he must have hit his head on the ladder and fell in. It was very unfortunate and really sad as he was a young dog only about 2 years old and had been neutered so obviously he was someone's pet but so far we can't find who he belonged to. Animal control came to get him out of the pool and take him away.

- - - Updated - - -

My numbers tonight are:
pH = 8.2
FC = .5
CC = .5
TA = 150
CYA = 30

So cya has improved - tonight I will add a little more stabilizer and bleach, wait about 30 minutes then add some acid. Does that sound right?

- - - Updated - - -

According to pool math I should add 77 oz of 10% bleach and 59 oz of liquid stabilizer and 73 oz of liquid acid to get my levels where they should be. I will add the stabilizer and bleach, wait about 30 minutes and add the acid. I will take reading again in the morning to see what that does.

- - - Updated - - -

According to pool math I should add 77 oz of 10% bleach and 59 oz of liquid stabilizer and 73 oz of liquid acid to get my levels where they should be. I will add the stabilizer and bleach, wait about 30 minutes and add the acid. I will take reading again in the morning to see what that does.

I wouldn't add more stabilizer this time of year, 30 is a good spot to be.

FC should be maintained in the 4-6 area, you would need 92oz to get to 5. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

I get 68oz of muriatic acid to go from 8.2 to 7.2. Don't use TA levels as goals/targets in pool math, adjust your pH to 7.2 and see how quickly it rises. Keep targeting 7.2 until you notice pH rising more slowly, let it rise to 8 before adding more acid. Some pools will stabilize at 7.8 so don't worry too much if you can't maintain a 7.5 pH. You will want to test your CH once a month to calculate your CSI score (possibility of scaling). Pool math will do that for you near the bottom of the page.

I wouldn't add more stabilizer this time of year, 30 is a good spot to be.

FC should be maintained in the 4-6 area, you would need 92oz to get to 5. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

I get 68oz of muriatic acid to go from 8.2 to 7.2. Don't use TA levels as goals/targets in pool math, adjust your pH to 7.2 and see how quickly it rises. Keep targeting 7.2 until you notice pH rising more slowly, let it rise to 8 before adding more acid. Some pools will stabilize at 7.8 so don't worry too much if you can't maintain a 7.5 pH. You will want to test your CH once a month to calculate your CSI score (possibility of scaling). Pool math will do that for you near the bottom of the page.

Thanks. My numbers this morning were:
pH = 7.5
FC = 2.5
CC = 0
TA = 175
CYA = 30
CH = 0

I put in 64 oz of bleach and 60 oz of stabilizer this morning about 9:00 am to try to get FC and CYA up. From what you are saying I maybe should have just left CYA alone.

Now at 6:00 pm my numbers are:
pH = 7.8
FC = 3.5
CC = .5
TA = 150
CYA = 50

Should I put in more Muratic Acid in now to see if I can get that pH and TA down a bit more or should I just let it be for a while?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You want to maintain the pH in the 7's, 7.8 is fine but if it goes to 8 add some acid with 7.2 as your goal. That will drop both pH and TA.

I would bring FC up to 10 now and see if you can pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

You should redo the CH test. Pool School - Calcium Hardness

Thanks. I put more acid last night and numbers this morning are looking pretty good. I have a vinyl pool so I believe the CH is correct at 0. I put in the 10 drops of R-10 and 3 drops of R-11L and the water turned blue, never turned red or any other shade so, according to that I should have 0 calcium in the water.
My numbers this morning are:

pH = 7.5
CL = 5
CH = 0
FC = 3.0
CC = .5
TA = 130
CYA = 40

I am going to vacuum and put a little bleach in this morning. I may raise the FC tonight as you suggested to see if I pass the Overnight Chlorine Test.

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.