Reducing TA?

Oct 6, 2018
Bay City, MI
Tonight I checked all my levels. FC=2.5. CC =.5. PH = 7.8 (I believe it’s 7.8 hard to tell with compararator with the colors being so close but if I added 1 drop of the R005 it looks like it went to 7.6) CYA=35. TA = 100 and CH = 120. My question is to get the ph to 7.6 should I be lowering my TA? To lower that can I use some of my Leisure Time spa down is says it’s Sodium Bisulfate: 95% but I don’t see that listed on the pool math app. The how to use chlorine description says to keep it at around 50. Just wondering what approach to take. Thanks in advance.

what is the perfect number for a TA level
Chief, a perfect TA is not something we obsess about too much. As long as you are within the TFP recommended range (see below), you should be fine. The one time when you might be concerned about a TA being too high for your pool is if you see the pH climbing each day rapidly. An elevated TA can contribute to that. But at the moment I wouldn't be too worried. Your pH is fine in that 7.6-7.8 range. Even 8.0 isn't unreasonable at times. Treat/maintain your pH like normal, and with each application of acid, the TA should slowly fall a bit anyways. Now I seem to recall some in your region have local water with a very high TA, not sure about Bay City. But if your TA climbs much higher from summer refills, then you may need to be more proactive in lowering the TA. I'd just watch it for now.

Thank you all for the responses. Your help as always is greatly appreciated. One other question in that posted chart it says CH from 230 a 320 but on the “how to use chlorine” summary section it says to raise it to 150. Any thoughts on this since mine is at 120

The recommended levels for our FG pools (220 - 320) is really a safety net to prevent staining more than anything. Today's FG pools do not have calcium products in the gelcoat, so theoretically there is no danger of a low CH causing erosion to plaster products like in a stone/plaster pool. Your CH of 120 should be just fine unless you have a waterline tile. If you do, then you would increase the CH for the health of the grout and thin-set used on the tile.

We talking about a spa or a pool? The recommended level chart is for pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.