Reducing TA?

Jul 24, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
Getting there slowly...yesterday I replaced 25% of water with fresh to get salt down. I used the pool math calculator and added 26oz muriatic acid to lower pH of 7.8. Here are my readings this afternoon:

Free Chlorine (FC) 3
Total Chlorine (TC) 3
Copper Ions (weekly) 0
Cyanuric Acid (CYA) 50
Acidity/Alkilinity (pH) 7.5
Total Alkalinity (TA) 240
Calcium Hardness (CH) 600
Total Hardness (TH) 500
Salt (weekly) 3500

TA is still too high. The calculator tells me to add 34oz of washing soda-is this same as baking soda? Or add 67oz of borax. Won't this kick my pH back up? Seems like a vicious circle ?

Keep your pH low.... Lower it more, even... 7... 7.2.

Keep it low.

1) This will keep your CSI in range.
2) This will drive down your TA.

The high TA will drive up your pH, which you will keep knocking down with acid, which will lower your TA.

Accelerate your pH rise with aeration, so you can knock it down to decrease your TA.

Eventually, you will find an equilibrium.

Thanks, I'm working on it ��

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Ok, I've added more acid and turned on the pump. Will that work for aerating the pool? Will pool be safe for swimmers in an hour or two?
It's safe right now. TA is not harmful. A bunch of kids splashing will aerate better than anything you can devise.

What I'd worry about is what you're testing with. Are those pool store results?

Agree, will eventually get a Taylor test kit ��

Pool store tested my water and TA was 240. Everything else was fine except for low CYA, so I added 2lbs in a washing bag, tossed over the return. Running pump for 6 hours. Will test again around 10pm using my test strips.

Strongly recommend that you don't add anything other than some bleach until you get test kit. Pool store tests and guess strips are notoriously bad at the CYA test. By adding stabilizer without knowing your accurate amount right now could be causing more harm than good

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.