Reduced suction and water flow

Dmooney

Oct 22, 2021
Torrance CA
Over the past few years the suction at my skimmer has gradually dropped, along with the water flow (visible in my SWCG cell). Pump primes normally, but no longer completely removes all the air from the pump basket, although no additional bubbles show. Filter pressure was once about 20 psi with fresh DE, rising to 25 to 30 psi before the next cleaning. It is now about 15 psi max. I have no automatic pool cleaner, only manual vacuum - which isn't frequently required as I have a motorized vinyl cover which prevents most debris from entering pool. However, the effectiveness of vacuuming has dropped significantly, to where I have to vacuum the same areas multiple times to pick up the dirt on the bottom of the pool. To keep my SWCG cell full of water I now have to run the pump at full speed (3000 rpm) 100% of the time. If I reduce the speed to say, 2000 rpm, the SWCG cell doesn't fill enough to be effective. The performance appears to be identical whether the pool or the spa is selected, leading me to believe any postulated blockage is between the pool/spa selector Ortega valve and the pump.

I have read countless threads here about related issues and have (to the best of my ability) ruled out a suction side air leak. Running water over the pump basket lid, over the pipes and fittings leading to the pump (including the Ortega valve near the spa). Remaining potential causes seem to be: 1) might have a partial blockage in the suction line, or 2) the diffuser or impeller in my pump has accumulated debris, or has damage that has reduced its pumping ability. I don't believe the pump sounds any differently now than previously when everything was working fine. The pump is no longer able to empty skimmer if I hold the weir flapper up to restrict the flow into the skimmer from the pool. (Water flows around the sides of the flapper faster than the pump can remove it.) If I remove the pump basket drain plug while pump is running, the suction felt there by my finger is very weak. This leads me to think the pump is partially clogged or damaged.

1) I have used my shop vac to blow the suction line from the pump back to the skimmer, where the water in the line then sprays up out of the skimmer. If I blow from the skimmer, then the water flows into the pump basket freely. I tried to suck a waxed string (with a 1/2" wooden ball tied on) into the skimmer using the pool pump. I allowed about 70' of string (my best guess at total suction line length) into the skimmer but never saw the ball in the pump basket. Upon pulling the string back out (with the pump off) it appeared that the string got all tangled up and tied in a mess about 15-20' into the suction line. I think this is probably just beyond the Ortega valve that selects between the pool and the spa. Maybe something there catches the string, not letting it continue the remaining 50-60 feet. I have not yet tried flushing the line with water using a Drain King type bladder. I can easily fill the pump basket by running a garden hose into the skimmer.
I bought an inexpensive 50' drain camera, but was unable to get it past the first 90 degree elbow from either end. Note that the pool/spa Ortega selector valves are located in a vault below ground level. I could remove the guts from the Ortega valve to get "closer" to the pump, but since these valves are below the pool water level, the dirt bottom vault will fill with water once I do ( not a non-starter, but not ideal).

2) Problem with the pump. I ordered the o-rings, drain plugs and seal for my pump from INYO Pools preemptively before opening the pump. My first question here is, can I get to and examine the diffuser and impeller without disturbing the seal? In any case, I am planning to shut of the power and separate the pump so I can examine the diffuser and impeller for debris or damage.

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions? I can take some additional photos (and maybe a sketch of the entire hookup) of my plumbing. Note that having the solar panels (mounted on my roof) turned on or off doesn't appear to affect the performance I've described.

Thanks in advance!
Dale
Pool Equipment.jpg

Thanks for your question and suggestion wireworm! The gauge is new, replacing the previous gauge that quit operating. That being said, it is always possible that a new gauge is defective...
I will try the recirculate suggestion.

Thank you wireform! Although the pressure gauge is new, replacing the old one which stopped working, there is no guarantee that the new one doesn't have a problem. Or perhaps the old gauge always read on the high side, making me think that 20-25 psi was "normal", whereas the new gauge reading 15 psi might be too much pressure, indicating a very dirty filter. Anyway, I turned the multiport valve to the recirculate position and now have full suction at the skimmer, and complete filling of the SWCG cell even at 2000 rpm. I suspect that I might also have to rebuild the multiport valve (again) as it was very difficult to turn and also allowed a small flow out the waste port while in the recirculate position. I kept the spring compressor tool that I built the last time I had to rebuild it for the same problem.

Very happy that I now have no need to open up the pump, or worry about a suction side restriction!

I'm in the process of opening and cleaning the filter now. I think I just let it go too long between cleanings as the pressure had not been apparently increasing.

Dale

Pressure, with the old (apparently unreliable gauge - which eventually just stuck at 20 or 25 psi). Pressure now, with cleaned and recoated filter is now about 13 psi at full speed (3000 rpm) and about half that at 2000 rpm. Am now able to effectively vacuum the pool, picking up much silt or dust which was previously left behind after vacuuming. Water flowing back into the pool is now vigorous and the skimmer suction appears to be as it was years ago. The SWCG cell remains completely full of water, even at 2000 rpm. Prior to cleaning the filter the cell would only maintain about half full at 3000 rpm and would not have even enough water to submerge the electrodes at 2000 rpm.

In conclusion, I got lazy and did not clean the filter as often as I historically had, fooling myself into believing that the filter pressure had not been rising, which indication normally triggered me to clean the filter in the past. Apparently the pressure had actually been rising, without the gauge indicating so.

Super glad I was given the suggestion to put the multiport valve in recirculate mode so I could see that the pump was working fine and there was no observable suction line restriction. Like someone else said on one of the many threads I read in the past few days - check the simple things first! Also good news for me - no need to rebuild the multiport valve as there is no leakage to the waste port in filter mode.

Dale

• Love
Reactions: wireform
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.