Redoing my pool and could use some advice along the way

Mar 30, 2013
I hope this finds all of you well. I haven't posted since 2013.

Today my pool contractor will begin draining the pool (approx 17k gallons with attached inground hot tub) and chipping away the black plaster and tile, fixing a rusted rebar area between our pool and spa, fixing a crack or two, then replastering with Stonescapes Puerto Rico 3 bag blend (Aqua White, with extra abalone added) and replacing the waterline tile with Lightstreams Silver 2.0 (A local CA company out of Manteca now owned by Pebbletec). Here is the color if anyone is interested. we chose to have 60% of the iridescent side exposed. Will post pictures when complete if anyone is interested. I have uploaded pictures of my pool and equipment if curious.

Here are some of my questions:

1. I currently have an older Jandy Controller that I updated to the Iaqualink system about 8 years ago. There was a spa 4 button control and inside wall controller that still work with everything, but not perfect. Frankly, I love the app based control, but the system has been fairly buggy. Recently the spa valve wouldn't shut all the way so i replaced the Jandy auto valve only to discover it was most likely the motherboard. A pool service friend recommended i upgrade to the 2.0 system and it should take care of the issue. I ordered the upgrade kit and still have it in a box. I was going to have a guy install it (to preserve the warranty) but he suggested even it was a problem and to upgrade the whole system to Pentair (I have a Pentair VS Pump that runs the pool and Polaris 360). So question is, do I resell the Iaqualink 2.0 kit on Ebay and get a whole new Pentair system that is app based? If so which one? If they are comparable, I just assume upgrade to the 2.0 and stay put.

2. I have an old Goldline Aqua Rite salt cell that has been dead for 14 years. I just also bought the Circupool RJ-45 cell and controller and planned to install it before the pool is done ( Did a lot of research and feel this oversized cell will be awesome for my smaller pool.) Got a nice discount on it. BUT, my pool contractor said I should wait at least a month before running the pool as a salt pool? He is going to pay for the 1st month of acid start up and said it was important for the Stonescape finish? Is he correct? if so i will wait to add salt and just run it with the cell on for the 1st month? Eventually, I'd like to be able to set it, check it regularly, and have very little maintenance (other than some acid)?

3. I also read some reviews about this centrifugal pre filter and decided to order it as well. I have a 4 cartridge filter and they recommend installing it on top of the VS filter, but mine (as currently plumbed wouldn't allow that. Any suggestions? Se photos of pool and equipment attached.

4. I decided on the PAL Evenglow pool and spa light kit after seeing this video. Has anyone used them? Apparently it has 16 Million color variations (not sure how practical that is) but can be run through the Jandy or Pentair controllers which will only allow 12 light settings. This is fine with me. I'm excited for them as I've read plenty of negative reviews about the big LED manufacturers lights, early burn out, harsh LED colors, etc. Just wondering if anyone has any experience. I can run a separate app to control if I buy the wifi adapter, or just plug into the iaqualink or new controller and run through that app (albeit with only 12 colors). They are extremely energy efficient too, or so they claim.

5. Lastly, as you can see I have an older stamped concrete pad around the pool where the color has faded. It is in decent shape and I'd like to recolor and seal it. Any recommendations for do it yourself product out there? I know this is a pool forum but since it touches it i figured a few of you have done this yourselves? If too off topic then I apologize

Thanks in advance for any advice, comments, etc.

5. I have read the warranty for NPT stonescapes is a lifetime warranty if installed by an approved contractor? Has anyone used the Puerto Rico blend in Aqua White? Photos? Issues?

Attachments

• 20210427_112002.jpg
    20210427_112002.jpg
    635.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210427_112144.jpg
    20210427_112144.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210427_111949.jpg
    20210427_111949.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210427_111940.jpg
    20210427_111940.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210427_112052.jpg
    20210427_112052.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 19
get a whole new Pentair system that is app based? If so which one?
The newest automation system from Pentair is the Intellicenter.
I should wait at least a month before running the pool as a salt pool?
Correct. The new plaster needs that time to fully cure. The Circupool SWCG is great, but will not be controlled by an automation system.
Any suggestions?
Doubt it is necessary. Hair nets over the skimmer baskets is cheap and effective.
No idea on the lights or deck.
Sounds like a big project.

Well I can't chime in much on the other questions, but that is our pool finish. We love the color, but we didn't go with the abalone stone in it due to longevity concerns. Good luck with your project!

Well I can't chime in much on the other questions, but that is our pool finish. We love the color, but we didn't go with the abalone stone in it due to longevity concerns. Good luck with your project!
Thanks for the answer! So do you have the Puerto Rico small 3 bag blend of Aqua White? Also, I hadn't heard of any longevity concerns with Abalone, could you expand that? Definitely don't want to do that if it has negative long term consequences. Thanks in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.