Red Service System Light - Pentair Master Temp 400

Yorker

Silver Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cathedral City, CA
Friday evening we went to heat the spa, only to find that the temp did not rise after 15 minutes. So I went to the Pentair MasterTemp 400 and saw that the red Service System light was on, and read that it is a pressure/flow issue. I intended to clean the filter soon since it had been awhile, so early the next day I took it apart. It was in need of a cleaning, but nowhere as bad as the first time the builder cleaned it out. And at that time there was no issue with the heater.

I should mention after by previous cleaning, the pressure gage on the filter read 11psi. It never has gone any higher, giving me the impression that it was not very dirty. Now I wonder if there might be a problem with it.

I also checked the skimmer and pumps baskets, they are empty.

After the pump was put together, I moved on the salt cell. It’s less than a year old and been unplugged since Oct/Nov, but still wanted to see if anything was in there. There was very small thin spidery type leaves, but again, I’ve seen larger obstructions in there before, and the heater was working. Rinsed them out with the hose

To date I have only rinsed the cell with pressured water, the extremely small amount of calcium buildup that in the past was removed from the hoses water pressure.

Should I preform an acid wash anyway just because it’s almost a year?

The pool is still under warranty with the pool builder for another month or two, and 2+ years with Pentair’s warranty. If I admit that I have never acid washed it, could they say that I’ve voided the warranty?

I reset the breakers at the sub and main, still no difference.

So back to the Service System light … it still remains on after all of the above.

In looking at pg 40 of the manual, it suggests to:

1 - Verify that pump is on, filter is not blocked, and the water flow is above the minimum requirement. (( I do not have a flow meter, so how can I check the water flow?))

2 - With pump running, adjust Water Pressure Switch to lower pressure until ‘SERVICE SYSTEM” LED goes out. Then verify that “SERVICE SYSTEM” LED goes on with pump off. (( I’m assuming that since this is under warranty I should not mess with this… right?))

Any suggestions before I call the PB or Pentair’s local service rep?

Thanks in advance,
York

Pentair MasterTemp pg40.png

Attachments

• Pentair MasterTemp pg40.png
    Pentair MasterTemp pg40.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: Fray
If you're getting a service system light with the pump on full and good water pressure out of the jets, then you might have a problem with the pressure switch in the heater. I would ask the builder to check it out under warranty.

UPDATE: The PB's "electrician guy" came out today, and said with all the information I provided that it must be the Pressure Switch, but wanted to open up and look at the heater before calling in a warranty repair. He did not notice anything, but tried turning the pressure switch to 90° counter clockwise and retried staring the heater. As it was staring up he got an 888 128 r15 reading on the display (he called it an r14 error), but the heater started up!

We let it go for about 5 minutes and still no problem, he then turned the pressure switch 90° clockwise to its original position .... and still worked. He said he was going to ask the PB's "pool guy" about the r14 code, and would get back to me tomorrow.

I've heated the spa for a couple times today for about 2 hours each without ant problem.

The Pentair manual says nothing about an r14 code, but in searching the internet it seems that the 888 128 r14 is a normal startup sequence....

I'll update when I get more info.

The 888 128 and r15 is a normal "boot up" display sequence. My guess is perhaps the connectors on the pressure switch, while still relatively new, may have built up a bit of corrosion. Something you can try yourself is to simply pull both connectors off, then re-attach them to the pressure switch. And, while they are off, you may also try holding the wire and give the connector a light pull to make sure the crimp on the connector is good. A bad crimp would leave you with the connector in your hand.

Thanks PC, (love the screen name:•)! "normal "boot up" display sequence" That's what I thought, but had a hard time finding that info in the manual or on the internet, no matter what my search string.

I was not able to get down and close to the part yesterday to get a close look at the part, but will and try your suggestion. I'm assuming I need to turn a breaker off before?

"normal "boot up" display sequence" That's what I thought, but had a hard time finding that info in the manual or on the internet, no matter what my search string.
Put this in the Google search box:

site:troublefreepool.com "888 128"

The r13, r14 etc is the software revision number. So, that's not consistent.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It will be interesting to see what the PB replies with. I'm going to let them do their own homework :)

Sometimes that's a sketchy proposition... A lot of pool builders are just that, builders, and they don't always have a service dept.

No problem with turning the heater off, you can if you want. Power to heater OK, just not running. Voltage through those wires is low voltage.

Reactions: tcrb
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.