Recommended alkalinity

mtheaded

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 10, 2007
Lovettsville, VA
It's been a long time since I've posted anything in the forums thanks to being a BBB person for the last 10 years or so. However, I am in the middle of bringing my numbers back up after treating for metal stains with ascorbic acid and I have a question. My current alkalinity is sitting at 70 and the Pool Math app says the target is 50-90. In the past my target has always been higher (a lot of places say 120 is a minimum). So....should I switch from baking soda to Borax now to raise my pH some more and leave my alkalinity at 70 or should I continue to use baking soda to raise both pH and alkalinity?

The 100+ TA recommendations come from most people (outside of TFP) using trichlor to chlorinate. Trichlor is highly acidic so the higher TA helps offset that and keep the pH stable. When using liquid chlorine/bleach or a saltwater chlorine generator the chlorine source is neutral or slightly basic, so a much lower TA is needed to keep the pH steady. That is why most of us here keep our TA lower, often closer to 60ish.

The perfect TA will vary for each pool, but it is the TA where your pH is most stable. It's a level where you want to let it find its happy place, where you aren't adding much acid or borax, rather than a level where you need to keep it within a specific range like FC. Our guideline is that if your pH is stable then your TA is probably good.

Have a look at this article from Pool School.

I don't see a SWG in your sig, so I am assuming you are a bleach guy. TA 50-90 is the recommended range. Do your other numbers fall in the recommended ranges?

My TA out of the tap is around 40, and after adding everything to balance the water, it's at 90 - 110. My pH is steady at 7.5. I took the TA down to 80 a few weeks ago, and raised my pH to 7.5 with borax. If say if your pH is where you want it, just leave your TA alone.

BTW, love your avatar! I wanted to paper my room with AEN when I was 12 or so, the parental units said no...

Reactions: Tena and mtheaded
Have a look at this article from Pool School.

I don't see a SWG in your sig, so I am assuming you are a bleach guy. TA 50-90 is the recommended range. Do your other numbers fall in the recommended ranges?
Thanks. I did read it. I was just curious as to why our recommended is so much lower than other sites. Like I said, I am coming back from a metal removal treatment, so I still have to raise my pH a bit, but slowly. I can either use baking soda and raise both pH and Alkalinity or use Borox and raise just pH. If 70 is fine for alkalinity I'll stick to Borax.

The 100+ TA recommendations come from most people (outside of TFP) using trichlor to chlorinate. Trichlor is highly acidic so the higher TA helps offset that and keep the pH stable. When using liquid chlorine/bleach or a saltwater chlorine generator the chlorine source is neutral or slightly basic, so a much lower TA is needed to keep the pH steady. That is why most of us here keep our TA lower, often closer to 60ish.

The perfect TA will vary for each pool, but it is the TA where your pH is most stable. It's a level where you want to let it find its happy place, where you aren't adding much acid or borax, rather than a level where you need to keep it within a specific range like FC. Our guideline is that if your pH is stable then your TA is probably good.
That's the answer I was looking for! Thank you!

Reactions: IceShadow
Glad to see this, I'm in the same. My TA is 40 and I'm leaving it. Aerating to raise ph super slow because I've been fighting it down as long as I've had this pool! (Six weeks ?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.