Recommendations on pool cleaners

Jun 14, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm in the market for a reasonably priced automatic pool cleaner, and was looking for recommendations.

I have a 24' Above Ground Vinyl liner. A couple hundred dollars is probably my price cap. We get a lot of leaves, pine needles, "helicopter" seeds, and duck poop! So it would have to handle those things well.

Looking at the Hayward Aqua Bug or Wanda the Whale? Any reviews on those? Seems a little too inexpensive, so I'm wondering how good it will work. Thanks in advance for the help!

I have had lots of difficulty with hose based vacuums that I gave up on them and purchased a Doherty Aquabot Jetdrive AG. Unfortunately it died right before the end of season 2. Planning on opening my above ground pool the first week of June and since I wasn’t able to do the best cleaning before closing I am going to need a good vacuum. The replacement motor is half of the initial purchase cost, but it did work well when it was working. The plus with the robot cleaners is that there is less debris in your filter and you won’t need to clean it as often.

Personally I would look for a used robotic cleaner. Suction side cleaners aren't worth the hassle. I'd rather just vacuum it myself. I have a Dolphin S200 and it was the best investment we've made, but it's significantly out of your price range. Works great on debris like leaves and pine needles. Honestly I would save up a couple of seasons and get another one of these before I would mess with a suction powered cleaner again.

The Pentair warrior SL or the Prowler 910 are both for above ground pools. Unfortunately even at Marina Pool and Spa they are $499 but this does include shipping and they do not charge tax for most areas. I would suggest giving them a call and see if they have anything else that they may recommend for your pool. They were the cheapest I could find for my warrior SE.

This forum will overwhelmingly guide you to a robot.

Ive had great success with suction cleaners and will continue to use them getting great performance, dead simple maintenance, and about 10 years of life with them.

I like the zodiac suction side cleaners

UD

Reactions: jtpipkin
Its not just putting the hoses in. I also have a leaf canister. After filling the hose with water, then I need to switch valves to apply suction to the cleaner. All told takes about 10 minutes with much leaning over and stooping. Not easy at my age.

Reactions: TishTash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.