Recommendations for replacing OEM Intex Sand Filter pump combo

zolman74

May 19, 2020
Houston Texas
Hi,

I have a 12x24 rectangle Intex XTR pool. The pump filter combo just seems very lacking for me. Is there a better setup that wont break the bank? Also I get a lot of pine tree pollen that it seems the sand cannot get out of the water. Any feedback appreciated.

thanks!

I’m being lazy this morning - how many gallons is your pool? Most people do upgrade size and strength of filter and pump - Intex never ships the appropriate size for the pool.

Right now prices are kind of ridiculous, but you may be able to find something not too crazy. I’m partial to sand filters but you could always go with cartridge if you prefer. One thing I would advise is start using skimmer socks or hairnets on your skimmer basket, and check daily to make sure you change them when they get clogged. That will help clear out the small stuff.

Its around 8000 gallons. i added an intex skimmer with socks but it didnt seem to help out with the pollen. Do you think a cartridge would work better for that really fine particle? Or maybe the Zeosand?
No to Zeosand, but you could certainly go with cartridge.

I have this same pool and came looking for the same answer. The Intex pump and filter just aren't enough for coastal Alabama and under a bunch of trees (also lots of pine pollen!). We want to add some additional jets and upgrade the pump/same filter. Hopefully you get some good advice. We already added the in-wall Hayward skimmer last year.

Reactions: zolman74
Hi,

I have a 12x24 rectangle Intex XTR pool. The pump filter combo just seems very lacking for me. Is there a better setup that wont break the bank? Also I get a lot of pine tree pollen that it seems the sand cannot get out of the water. Any feedback appreciated.

thanks!
Did you make any decisions or find any more info on this? I'm so tired of fighting to keep up with our pool. I've heard to buy a 1.5" HP pump and a 19" sand filter and to upgrade pipe to 1.5 in and add another jet. No idea if this is good info or not!

Did you make any decisions or find any more info on this? I'm so tired of fighting to keep up with our pool. I've heard to buy a 1.5" HP pump and a 19" sand filter and to upgrade pipe to 1.5 in and add another jet. No idea if this is good info or not!
This advice you mention is sound.

This advice you mention is sound.
I just bought a Hayward thru wall skimmer and am upgrading all the pipes and intake/returns to 1.5 pvc. I ordered a 1.5hp pump/filter combo but it keeps getting put on backorder so im in limbo.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just bought a Hayward thru wall skimmer and am upgrading all the pipes and intake/returns to 1.5 pvc. I ordered a 1.5hp pump/filter combo but it keeps getting put on backorder so im in limbo.
We already did the Hayward skimmer and 1.5" piping last season. Which pump/filter did you order?

Do you have any specific pump/sand filter recommendations? Also, we installed the Hayward skimmer and updated to 1.5" pipe last season, but we didn't add any jets. Do you have any advice on this? Thanks!
How many returns and intakes (including skimmer) do you have now? You might want to start your own thread, rather than piggybacking here. Also, please add all your pool and equipment details to your signature, so we can see what we are dealing with.

There are numerous ebay listings for the 18" filter with 1.5hp pump kit for $519

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.