Recommendations for a New Motor

Swim4Rett

Gold Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Braselton, GA
After 8 years of use, my motor (Hayward Power Flo LX SP1515Z1BC) needs to be replaced. I just replaced the sand filter control arm thingamajig and deep cleaned the sand. It is amazing since I expected the sand to be filthy and it was pristine, even after approximately 30 mins of dunking the hose around, the water was crystal clear. Definitely says something about utilizing the trouble free pool methods of balancing water!

Anyway, after searching the web for a replacement, it seems the recommended replacement for the motor is the Hayward Power Flo LX SP1580. Granted, a lot of reviews are fake, but there seems to be an overwhelming negative to this motor. Are motors interchangeable if you stick with the same horse power? Is one brand a stand out from the others?

Any recommendations will be much appreciated!

I have a 24' round, 13,500 gal, motor is 1.5hp and one speed. This motor only has a cord that I have to plug/unplug every time I need to change the control arm which is a real pain. The plug finally gave out and broke the ground prong off of it. I need an assembly that is somewhat easy for me to install. I took a great leap of faith to replace the control arm by myself. Hopefully, I answered your question.

If the cord is the only problem with the motor you can replace the power cord fairly easily and save a whole lot of money! Most motors are sold without a power cord. You can get replacement cords at the hardware store. Use the old cord to match the gauge. You will need to get some wire quick connectors and a pair of needle nose pliers to crimp them down to the wires.

Something like these, only look for the ones with bare wire for the connectors at one end.
Replacement Cords - Appliance Cords - Extension Cords - The Home Depot

this thread may help:
How to connect power cord to new 2 speed pump

Well, scratch that, the hose that connected to the motor broke off the plastic at the motor. Do you know if this is repairable or does this mean a new motor? If a new motor, are there any recommendations? As above, if I stick with the 1.5 hp, are all brands interchangeable?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.