Recommendation on Liquid Stablizer? (CYA)

cody21

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a fresh fill after repairs over last winter. My CYA is 0 right now & I'm going thru the "Sock" method which is taking forever of course.

So I've seen there is LIQUID CYA that can get me up and going fast. There are so many products out there, some positive reviews on AMAZON and some not so good.

So thought I'd come here where the experts are. Do any of you have a recommendation? Ideally both good price & great reliable product? Leslie's has it, but at a whopping $38/Gal.

Thanks in advance.

The 'sock method' should not take very long. I can dissolve a couple pounds in an hour or two. Put the CYA in a thin sock or knee high panty hose. Put it in the skimmer basket with pump running. After an hour, go squeeze it and the CYA will disperse rapidly.

You can use the liquid CYA. It is about 4X as expensive. You must plan to use the ENTIRE jug. Shake very well. Pour off the liquid, add water, Shake well, pour off the liquid. Repeat until it is all gone. Then brush the area VERY well to dissolve any CYA granules. They can stain your pool finish.

Thanks for that reply ... I've been using that "sock" method for years. Like I mentioned, we had to refill the pool after some repairs & my CYA is 0 right now.. I've been adding via SOCK for a while now & hardly getting any bump in my CYA (32,500 gals) so was looking at way to get it up faster - then revert to "sock" as ongoing maintenance.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.