Carrollton tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
5 or 6 years ago we had the pool redone with Aquabright and we had the fiber lights replaced with Jandy color changing LEDs
We have 1 large pool light and 3 niche lights in the pool and 1 in the spa
The large pool light is out, one of the smaller niche lights is out and one remaining small niche light is wacky colored but working

We want light in the pool for when we or guests are swimming.
Thanks in large part to this site I do all the minor upkeep and maintenance on the pool.
Id like to replace at least one of the niche lights to add more light to the pool

Trouble is that Jandy lights have a bad rep for failing quickly and the pool light is $1100

My questions for the team here are :
Can I use other branded lights with my Aqualink controller ? The lights in the shower descents are not Jandy so I should be able to.
What brands If any have better longevity ?
Any other input ideas or suggestions ?

Here is a drone shot that shows when they were all working - the text shows the ones with issues

Thanks in advance
pool drone labled.jpg

The troubleshooting Ive checked include
Testing the relays in the aqualink control box to ensure that the lights were getting power.
Opened the one box that contains all 3 transformers for the 3 niche lights near the spa end
I tried finding the box where the pool lights cable goes. I think I found it and it has power.

Need a picture of the pool light. If it is a standard-sized pool light, any standard pool light would fit. The Aqualink turns them on by supplying power, just like an expensive light switch.

If it is a standard pool niche, a Pentair "Amerilite" will fit. They come with an incandescent bulb that can be changed to an LED before installation (or not if in a hurry). Least expensive way to get a new light. There are many color-changing bulbs that will fit that fixture as well for later.

Pool lights are purchase based on the length of cord needed. You have to measure from the edge of the pool to the junction box and then add the next longer size at least. You cannot add to the cord and would be surprised by how much cord it actually takes. You have to allow for at least 3' feet of cord to be wrapped around the fixture as it is place in the niche.

AWESOME notes

Its a standard size light - any idea if the pentair color changer will work with the Aqualink interface ?

I don't have any issue buying the 100 foot cable

Any idea if the pentair will last longer ?

AWESOME notes

Its a standard size light - any idea if the pentair color changer will work with the Aqualink interface ?

I don't have any issue buying the 100 foot cable

Any idea if the pentair will last longer ?
Are you able to change colors with a menu item in the Jandy? If not, you are just sending power via a relay to turn them on and off (powering the transformers), just as you would with a standard light switch.

The Pentair goes through its various light modes by turning power on and off. You can also buy a controller for it, more expense. If you seriously want a color-changing light, it still makes sense to get a standard light and install an LED bulb into it (get a silicone gasket while you're at it). There are many, many bulbs available on Amazon. The big name is J&J, but it is also the most expensive. They also make a white LED that is very good.

I have made this type of installation several times and, so far, all my customers have been very happy with the results.

That way, when the color changing fades or dies (and it will) you can always go back to a white light or replace the bulb. The repairs to a Pentair color changing light (if it can be fixed) are very expensive, it can't be converted to a standard whit light, and the novelty wears off quickly anyway (ask me how I know).

Yes currently we can pick colors from a menu when we turn on the light - the brilliant wonders sheer descents have that $200 control box to change colors.
I guess if I can get a white light for under $500 and then choose a $70 or so LED from amazon that is a serviceable option - THANKS

Yes currently we can pick colors from a menu when we turn on the light - the brilliant wonders sheer descents have that $200 control box to change colors.
I guess if I can get a white light for under $500 and then choose a $70 or so LED from amazon that is a serviceable option - THANKS
The menu is not in the Jandy, but on a separate control, correct? The Jandy simply powers the control on?

you hit the pool light button on the first image and it shows the second image choices

all the lights are the same way as far as color change

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.