Recommendation for Wireless Switch for Pool Light

bobandsherry

Bronze Supporter
Apr 20, 2016
Riverview, FL
I have LED pool lights. Pool Builder installed a wireless RF remote switch that worked, but the default setting when power is restored is "on". With frequent power flickering in my part of the country that means the light keeps being set to on, which is OK except when I'm on vacation for a couple of weeks and remains on almost the entire time.

I installed a SONOFF wireless switch, it's defaults to "off". A side benefit is it integrates with Alexa/Echo, so allows me to tell Alexa to turn lights and off. The problem is lights turn on and then will randomly start to flicker on/off. Don't know what's up with that.

So brings me to my question. Any suggestions as what other switch I can wire at the control panel to remote control the light that's simple and inexpensive? Just need to remotely turn on/off reliably, and oh, by the way, have the default when power is restored be "off".

Thanks

I have my pool light controlled by home AUtomation. I am using this GE switch
https://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-Lighting-Repeater-14291/dp/B01M1AHC3R/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526305176&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ge+smart+switch&psc=1

This switch requires a Z-Wave compatible hub such as SmartThings or Wink. These hubs are usually Alexa compatible as well.

For me, I am also using a home automation hub called Wink.

I use the hub for a lot of things around my house, such as turning On/Off various spot lights or patio lights around my house, and settings to make sure those lights all got turned off in case I left one on. One common use for me is night time swimming. II like to turn on my bakyard spotlighst to walk out to the pool, get my towel ready, etc, but once I am ready to swim, I enjoy only the pool light, So with Wink and these switches, I can turn off the rest of the backyard lights to get a more peaceful envinronment. Once Im done with my swim, I use my phone to turn on the rest of the lights to gather my things and walk safely into the house.

I'd make sure that whatever switch you install, doesn't provide dimming. Usually these switches are distinguished by the sound of a relay clicking when the switch turns on or off. The swithches are sometimes used for ceiling fan motors, so if the switch says it's compatible with appliances or ceiling fans, this would be the type of switch you want to use.

Thanks Yev, however I'm looking to install something at the pool electrical panel. I don't have wiring into the home.

I'm not sure what you mean by wiring in the home. FOr my pool, I have a light switch mounted outside my house near the pool on a post to turn the light on or off. I upgraded it to a smart switch, but still outside. My hub is inside as they communicate wirelessly.

As far as the "pool electrical panel" not sure exactly what that is, but there are some zwave relays you can get rather than the GE switch that will allow you to do the same thing. Either way, Hope you find a solution that you like.

I have my pool light controlled by home AUtomation. I am using this GE switch
https://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-...6&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ge+smart+switch&psc=1

This switch requires a Z-Wave compatible hub such as SmartThings or Wink. These hubs are usually Alexa compatible as well.

For me, I am also using a home automation hub called Wink.

I use the hub for a lot of things around my house, such as turning On/Off various spot lights or patio lights around my house, and settings to make sure those lights all got turned off in case I left one on. One common use for me is night time swimming. II like to turn on my bakyard spotlighst to walk out to the pool, get my towel ready, etc, but once I am ready to swim, I enjoy only the pool light, So with Wink and these switches, I can turn off the rest of the backyard lights to get a more peaceful envinronment. Once Im done with my swim, I use my phone to turn on the rest of the lights to gather my things and walk safely into the house.

Does this setup with a GE smart switch work if there’s a GFCI in the mix?

I’m using a WiOn 220v DPST switch for my spa pump, and 110v hubless Smart Switches for my pool, patio lights, and my spa heater. Very cheap and simple solution.
Here is a link to my posting of my project:

Tips and Tricks - Page 15

And yes, there are a couple GFCI circuits involved, no problems. Since the posting I’ve also added a Smart Dimmer to some patio lights. All done without the need of a hub, and it all works with Alexa. The dimmer works in 5 steps (20% increments from the wall. But with voice control you can ask for any brightness from 1% to 100%, in 1% increments!

This whole system was very easy to install, infinitely customizable, easy to setup. No hub required and “cheap as chips”. I don’t know what more I could ask for, but if I think of something, maybe I’ll add that too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.