Recommendation for new pump

Alwayshad1

Oct 11, 2020
North central Florida
Merry Xmas to me! Woke up this morning to find pump not running...Hayward Ecostar variable...error message “drive error pump has failed”. After googling it seems it is/was a major problem with these things. Shut power off and waited, on still nothing. According to serial number 202 it is almost 20 years old? Is that right...does not look that old, came with the house. Anyway...getting ready to bite the bullet and call pool store for replace the unit. Any suggestions. Inground chlorine freeform pool with waterfall feature, app 11,000 gallons.

I believe the Hayward Tristar VSP is a direct replacement and shouldn't require any piping changes. If the original install was done with the Ecostar supplied pump unions, replacement is easy.

SP3206VSP or SP32950VSP = 2.7hp
SP3202VSP or SP32900VSP= 1.85hp

The 950 and 900 have an extended warranty (may or may not be worth any extra cost).

Let us know more about your pool and any water features, spa, equipment and a possible horsepower recommenation can be made. Filling out your signature will help us to help you.

In any case, shop around for prices.

Last edited:
I believe the Hayward Tristar VSP is a direct replacement and shouldn't require any piping changes. If the original install was done with the Ecostar supplied pump unions, replacement is easy.

SP3206VSP or SP32950VSP = 2.7hp
SP3202VSP or SP32900VSP= 1.85hp

The 950 and 900 have an extended warranty (may or may not be worth any extra cost).

Let us know more about your pool and any water features, spa, equipment and a possible horsepower recommenation can be made. Filling out your signature will help us to help you.

In any case, shop around for prices.
Thank you. It is a Hayward model sp3400vsp horsepower 2.7. The pool has a waterfall feature that operates on this pump also. There is a spa “connected” to the pool but it does not spillover into the pool and runs on its own pump/filter set up. When we bought the home the previous owner had the pump running 12 hours a day. I could never figure out how to change it so I just let it run like that...perhaps that was too long.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 7
The SP3400VSP is 2.7hp.

As for pump run time, minimum is to help mix in the chemicals and to skim the pool to your satisfaction. There is no need to try to "turnover" the entire pool volume in a day.

I run my pump 24/7.... 20 hours at 1100rpm and 4 hours at 2900rpm. The 2900 rpm is split into two 2 hour cycles for my infloor cleaning system. The 1100rpm provides me with a continuous slow skimming. My electric cost to run the pump on this schedule it less than $20/month. This works for me and my pool - it may not work for others.

Shad,

I'd get the SP3400VSP is 2.7hp like Gene recommended above.

The larger the pump the more water you can move at a lower RPM.

the previous owner had the pump running 12 hours a day. I could never figure out how to change it so I just let it run like that...perhaps that was too long.

The pump did not go bad just because it was run 12 hours a day... You had a drive failure, which really has nothing to do with how long the pump is running.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.