Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hi guys,

My pump really needs change. It's a 2HP 220v.

Was thinking about buying a simple one first (under $400) in order to quickly fix the issue now but then im also thinking about the Variable Speed ones.

Which one would you recommend? Any recommendation about one that can be bought in Amazon?

Thanks!

a,

I suggest either a 2-Speed pump or a Variable Speed pump..

I have the 3 HP IntelliFlo pump that I run at 24/7 at about 1200 RPM, most of the time. To do this costs less than $20 bucks a month.

VS pumps should really be called variable horse power pumps, because you only use the amount of HP you need. The larger the pump, the more water they move at a lower RPM.

Here is what I have... Amazon.com : Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump, 3 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Garden Outdoor

The only downside to this pump is that the control head can't be rotated, so you might have to stand on your head to program it, just depending on your equipment pad.

You should always use pump unions when installing a new pump.. they prevent leaks at the threaded connections that you often see after a couple of years. Here is what they look like...

Amazon.com: 2 PACK -CMP Hi-Temp Union 2 Outdoor

Thanks,

Jim R.

What size is your plumbing? I run a 1 1/2 hp Pentair SureFlo VS pump that is more than enough for my pool's 1 1/2 inch pipes. If you aren't automated a Pentair SureFlo VS pump may be the way to go.

An example of sizing your pump to your pipes. Something that isn't duscussed much here: The pump running at 3450 rpm through 1 1/2 pipe pumps 73 gallons a minute. At 2880 it pumps 70 gallons a minute at a savings of almost 500 watts and a reduction of flow of only 3 gallons per minute. (I'm going on memory here so an estimate) There is no benefit for me to ever run my pump at 3450.

I think Flatag means the Pentair SuperFlo VS pump. I agree that this is a good choice if you aren't planning on adding automation. $700 on Amazon.

The extra cost of a variable speed pump will be paid for by electricity savings pretty quickly.

Finally got the Superflo VS, following your recommendation. It's been working for several days now and it's efficient and silent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.