Recommend a submersible pump?

foxbody

Jun 3, 2021
Beverly, MA
Hi all. I have a 18 foot Coleman pool and I will be closing the pool within the next month as temps drop here in the north east. I will be completely draining the water and storing the pool for the winter. The local pool store sold me a very small automatic pool cover pump for $77 that's rated at 350GPH (Sun Pool Products model CP-1). As always with pool store purchases, I'm skeptical if this is worth the money. I plan to drain the water onto my lawn (which will also help me in a project to roll the lawn to get it more level) as the street is much further away and I'd need another longer hose.

Any recommendations for a submersible pump to close my pool?
Thanks!

You already have a filter pump.

Just use a vacuum hose and a discharge hose on the filter pump to drain the water.

Just don't let the vacuum hose get stuck on the liner.

You already have a filter pump.

Just use a vacuum hose and a discharge hose on the filter pump to drain the water.

Just don't let the vacuum hose get stuck on the liner.

I'm just trying to picture how this would happen. The input side is hooked up to my hayward skimmer. So I close the output side, attach vacuum or other hoses (parts needed for each hose connection) and once the water level goes below the skimmer, I attach more hoses to that input side to pump out water below the skimmer? I don't have that many hoses and they are going for $40+ locally for 20'. Any videos on this? Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited:
I have one very similar to mickey4paws unit. Mine's about five years old and I beat it to death doing way more to it than it's built for. Less money than the pool store pump, much more efficient, way more durable, and you will discover tons more it can do once it lives at your house. ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I have one very similar to mickey4paws unit. Mine's about five years old and I beat it to death doing way more to it than it's built for. Less money than the pool store pump, much more efficient, way more durable, and you will discover tons more it can do once it lives at your house. ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Does it attach to a normal garden hose with the attachment? Pool store pump is so slow. Almost useless.

Yes it does. I think they normally come with the garden hose attachment included. I use a 5/8" hose on mine. I used mine just yesterday to drain and clean our horse watering tanks. Each hold 100 gallons of water and were both pretty full. Drain time with my pump was less than 6 minutes per tank.

Mine's a Wayne RUP-160. Weighs about 3 pounds or so. You can get 'em bigger, but that also means heavier. The more of a pain they are to use, the less you will want to use it. ;) Paid around $40 for it five years ago at the local True-Value. Probably $60 by now. Still a bargain. It won't take you long before you wonder how you ever got along without one. Good luck on your journey.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.