Reason that pump motor would be turning on, but not pulling any water? (No clogged line on suction side)

Stukeye

Mar 25, 2021
Oklahoma
I was told at the beginning of the summer my pool pump was running pretty loud and would need to be replaced soon. A week or two ago I went out, saw air coming out of return lines and my pump basket wasn't primed and barely pulling water. Motor was still running.
I checked the skimmer basket and it was fine. Flipped it back on and it stopped working entirely. Not pulling water or air.

Had new motor ready to replace as i figured that's what was wrong with it. After replacement pump was priming and pulling water fine. I flipped it off to backwash the filter, and it stopped working again. After a minute or two of flipping stuff back and forth on the filter and turning the pump on and off, it started pulling again fine. Didn't think much of it.

A few days later after leaving the pump on for about 24 hours, I went and noticed the return jets weren't pushing anything again. Went in and saw the pump was not pulling water or air. The motor was running though.

Tried turning it on and off again. Checked for clogs in the line and found nothing. tried for a solid 15 minutes before giving up and asking pool guy to come look at it. I did notice that when I would flip the pump on, the breaker for the pump would make a noise and spark a tiny bit. Tried to film it, but it was so small that I couldn't pick it up on the camera.

Before pool guy came i decided to go check it out one more time. Checked for clogs again. Checked to see if there was debris in the impeller and found nothing. Turned the pump on and saw a little dribble of water starting to come out. Gave the pump a little kick, and all of a sudden, it started to pull water, then primed, and it started working fine again.

From what I read, this could be an issue with one of the capacitors on the pump motor, but it seems suspect that the same thing would happen on a brand new motor right after it happened to the old one. Could this be an issue with the breaker? Currently can't recreate the issue, but not sure if I should replace the breaker to be safe or what could have been causing it.

If you hear the pump is running, then it is not likely to be the start capacitor. A symptom of a bad start capacitor is the motor will just hum and not rotate.

A couple of things could explain intermittent priming issues.:

-A stuck weir door on the skimmer.

-Low pool water level. Should be mid way up skimmer mouth.

-Pump lid and/or drain plug gasket air leak. Use pool lube to help seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.