Really Loud Pool Pump - Hayward (Update - Pump Died)

wakasm

Jul 6, 2018
Somewhere East Coast
Hello all,

I am a fairly new pool owner that bought a house with a pool last year (details here). Looking for advice.

Having never owned a pool, I (think) I have come a long way, balancing my own chemicals, even performing minor maintenance on my own as needed. Right now I am only relying on a pool company for opening and closing... which I hope to learn how to do in another year or so. They also helped me patch a small leak on the pool opening.

However, I've noticed that all of a sudden my pump is really loud. So loud to the point where I am surprised no neighbors have complained. I don't really know when it started or if it was always this loud. I don't know what it should sound like to be honest. I just kind of noticed it and now I can't unnotice it, so I am assuming it happened recently. Googling tells me that it's either potentially dying, has debris, or in need of some other maintenance.

Functionally, everything seems fine. Flow is great. It's just really... loud. I've looked at the impeller and it seems clean, turns easily when I use my finger to turn it. My guess is that the pump will need replacing soon.

I made three changes to my pool this summer and not sure if any are related to the loud sound.

Change 1: Earlier this summer (about 2 weeks before I noticed the sound) my SWG died, I had an i20 intellichlor that wasn't generating any more chlorine. I bought a new one (an i40) and installed it myself, and things seemed like it was going fine. Change 2: When I opened the pool... I also installed a Polaris Vacuum, which also was doing great most of the summer until this week (all of a sudden it's not staying on the bottom of my pool on all 3 wheels... but I think it is because there is water in the float device). Change 3: Last summer I ran my pool filter 24/7 just because I was still learning and only had the pool open from July-September. This year I added a timer to run the pool pump 8 hours on, 4 hours off, with the polaris running for 2 hours at night. This was in some hope to save a little electricity and to see how far I can push that while keeping the pool clean.

So far in the one year I've had the pool, I can't tell if things breaking or dying are my own fault or if it's just timely with me getting the pool. I have no clue if this pump issue is related to the three changes I listed above. However, every time I get a handle on the pool, something feels like it breaks or needs replacing or re-balancing.

If the pump DOES need to be replaced - I am also not 100% which pump to replace it with (exact same model, something stronger) and I also don't know how easy/hard it is to replace a pump on my own. Any advice on this aspect? My fear is that I'll try to do it on my own, I'll mess it up, and then I'll have to wait a week or two to have a pool company do it, which seems pretty scary from a keeping it clean point of view... plus I assume they will charge a LOT more. I also don't know if I should just let a pool company handle this in terms of difficulty. On terms of difficulty, I found replacing the Intellichlor to be a 3 out of 10 - was pretty easy, but took a few tries to tighten it and get it right. I am not super handy, so not sure if I could handle the pump.

Here are some videos of my setup and the pump going.

A video from last year (I think) where I think the pump sound is lower.

A video from this week, where I think the pump is really loud.

Last edited:
Just added another video showcasing the sound (in case it helps).

Also looking for advice, if I do replace the pump, what pump to replace it with. Same or a variable speed one. One part of me thinks replacing it with the same model might make it go easier, but I've read that certain variable speed pumps could save on Electric as well, so I think now would be the itme to consider it. I have not called my pool company yet just because I know it will be a lot more expensive once I do.

Last edited:
Sorry to keep bumping my own thread - but I went out to the pool to do my weekly numbers + scrub the walls, and I noticed my pump was not on. When I try to power it on/off, it doesn't turn on anymore. I believe that my pump is now officially dead.

When I called my pool company, the had advised me to wait until the start of the next season to install a new pump, however, I am now thinking that it might be worth trying to install a new one on my own (vs repairing it). (I will call them tomorrow and update that the pump is now officially dead).

That said, what I don't know is what to consider when replacing the pump. Do I just go with the same model, or update to a variable speed pump (and I don't know if there is anything to consider with this).

This is a picture of the pump.
nnm6e2G.jpg

I would be hoping to replace this with a pump that could be swapped in. I've read good things about Variable speed pumps, and that I should probably consider keeping the same HP - 1.0.

Anyone with more knowledge give me pointers, tips, etc? I am not 100% sure what I can mess up, and if messing up is worse than the cost of waiting for the pool company and/or if I should just foot the bill and get it done somewhat right.

You can just swap out the motor.
Call Inyopools tomorrow. Have the motor model number, HP, SF, etc. They can give you some options on what you can use. A two speed motor may work well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.