Really confused about my equipment for new pool and I am not sure the PB is any less.

Just my 3 cents- swg can be installed, 1. I see a couple hours or “nuisance” & changing the plane of return manifolds, but a clean bets practice retrofit is achievable, without moving the risers in pad.
2. I have been putting small cartridge filters on water features lately, particularly in certain neighborhoods inundated with pine trees etc.. this is an elective practice.
3. Tough call on the “sweeps” they do look like Jandy branded schedule 40 sweeps- but as Mas said they do have a “Dwv” look. Look for the embossed specs on them or depth of solvent socket.

Well, I finally got hold of the builder. I got some story that they don't like Salt Water and they always told me that they will refund the $2000 for the system and then I can have another company come in and do it. I am not told that they do this all the time for all their salt water clients.

They said that there will be absolutely no problem putting in the salt water system and then the solar with the setup we have, nothing will need to be redone. I said that it looks like there is no space for a slat water and then we would need to do a 180 to go up to the roof...they said its all good and this is done all the time. Also said that because Jandy is so awesome with their plumbing, requiring very little, it makes it very flexible to add anything.

They said that the piping, being black is SCH40, grey is SCH80. Off course I have no way to check this really.

They are also saying that the salt water should be put in like 2 weeks to a month after the pool is done.

- - - Updated - - -

So if the plan was to get this done by someone else:

a) why not just a sub, why refund the money and make me go seperately
b) why put on the chlorinator if you are going to change it
c) why sign a contract this year with salt water and then claim that you stopped putting in salt water as of this year

During the conversation he said that he can probably make his company put in the salt water if I pressed it. I am now worried what kind of system I will have when they are done if they just add it to he existing setup.

(A) By refunding the money and making you go to a third party, you relieve them of any liability related to salt water (there is none) and you give them the perfect excuse to void all warranty issues (“We TOLD you not use an SWG!!!”)

(B) They have to provide you with some kind of sanitizer and so a puck feeder is as basic as it gets.

(C) sounds like “bait & switch” to me. That’s illegal to do in a lot of places and you could lodge a complaint with the BBB or State Contractor Board if you felt so inclined.

Check with your utility for rebates on those VSP pumps. Mine gave $400 for the Jandy 2.7hp VSP.

Thanks , will check with them, but I noticed mine is really stingy, nothing for lights, thermostats, etc, cities next door have tons.

- - - Updated - - -

Just my 3 cents- swg can be installed, 1. I see a couple hours or “nuisance” & changing the plane of return manifolds, but a clean bets practice retrofit is achievable, without moving the risers in pad.
2. I have been putting small cartridge filters on water features lately, particularly in certain neighborhoods inundated with pine trees etc.. this is an elective practice.
3. Tough call on the “sweeps” they do look like Jandy branded schedule 40 sweeps- but as Mas said they do have a “Dwv” look. Look for the embossed specs on them or depth of solvent socket.

Thank you. Now I am wondering how bad it will be when I want to add solar. This is so stupid when it is a brand new pool that could/should be designed properly in the first place.
I will check for the markings on the sweeps when I get home.

Anything can be retrofit on your pad with best practices & warranty compliance.. it just takes time, money & a sawzall. (Just at quick glance I see a handful of ways to salt & solar that equipment area). So long story short, if it wasn’t in the scope of work, don’t sweat it too hard, you will get it eventually..
as far as PB suggesting a third party , that’s bizarre to me - those are easy money sales.

Anything can be retrofit on your pad with best practices & warranty compliance.. it just takes time, money & a sawzall. (Just at quick glance I see a handful of ways to salt & solar that equipment area). So long story short, if it wasn’t in the scope of work, don’t sweat it too hard, you will get it eventually..
as far as PB suggesting a third party , that’s bizarre to me - those are easy money sales.

No, this was in the scope of work and in the contract. I think he forgot to put it in, messed up and put in the chlorine and now realizes that he cannot make it right too easily.

Gotcha - I missed that part. At 2k rebate, he is leaving a thousand & a few Benjamins on the table - still doesn’t compute with me.
but since he is offering to make you whole via rebate , just move on & swim.

I am missing your point here. I want a salt water pool, not a chlorine pool. I did not get one. No one will install it for less and I lose the warranty on the rest. Working with PB to address.

I’m missing your particulars too.
Is he just flat out refusing to satisfy the scope of work for which he was compensated?

how do you loose the warranty? Manufacturers or PB?

Retrofitting does not negate warranties - is that the contention?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Color of pipe is typically material construction and not the schedule. White is pvc, black is abs, grey is pvc but generally for electrical conduit. His supplier might be different like that.

What you need to do is take a tape measure and measure the glue joint on the sweeps and compare that to the glue joint on the 45's and the valves. Dwv is 50-75% length of a glue joint.

How did you make out with the PB? From your post #23, the PB is full of bull slop. Spray paint made that pipe black. Notice the lack of mfg stamped information on the pipe. You can also easily see the overspray on the concrete!! Plumbing PVC is white and has markings on it. He is either woefully ignorant or feeding you misinformation in hopes that you don't know any better and will go away. Either way make them fix their errors and put in the system YOU want. You are paying him to build YOUR pool. Tell him that you expect he will come out and fix it. Don't ask if he will.

Color of pipe is typically material construction and not the schedule. White is pvc, black is abs, grey is pvc but generally for electrical conduit. His supplier might be different like that.

What you need to do is take a tape measure and measure the glue joint on the sweeps and compare that to the glue joint on the 45's and the valves. Dwv is 50-75% length of a glue joint.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.