Real World for Dolphin Clever Clean Mapping

Van G

Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Toronto
Currently using a Hayward Aqua Vac QC and it does a decent job but the short coming is navigation of the pool -> first world problems!

Wondering if anyone is using the new Dolphins with Clever Clean?
Does it actually map the pool and able to clean features like stairs, benches, sun ledge, etc?

Our FG pool clean time would be a dream if this could be achieved.

Van,

I call it marketing bull stuff... :mrgreen:

They do not map a pool in the way most people would think.. They redo the "map" each time they turn on, so there is no real map..

That said, I have used several Dolphin robots and even the older ones never missed anything in my pools... None of them will do steps, shelves, swim-outs, etc. They might climb up on the bottom step from time to time but you can't count on it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Van G
There's no real reason to map out the pool. If you use it often enough and with a long enough cycle it finds everything except when you watch it clean.

If it was able to map/navigate it would know how to tackle features in addition to finishing faster knowing what areas it's cleaned. Similar to robot vac like RoboRock S6 (although that is 2D).

I will stick with what I have and hope for next year :)

Ledges, steps, etc will be problematic for nearly every cleaner due to their uniqueness. A ledge may lack headroom to operate (if the robot is not fully submerged it will stop) and steps are generally not wide enough for a robot to maneuver around. As a robot veteran, if I can observe dirt/debris on a step, I'll spend a minute brushing it to the pool floor before I start the robot. Problem solved.

We have a new floor cleaning robot which does actually map (the upcoming generation of robots promises the same technology). I can see the map being created on my phone as it seses its movement with lasers (lidar?) and creates a very detailed perimeter which it then sweeps in a very organized manner. Next time I start the cleaner it identifies itself in reference to the perimeter. I can direct it to only cover part of the map, which is likely the biggest advantage this type of system will have in a pool. Not sure how a laser system will work in water, but smarter people than I are likely working on it.

Reactions: Van G
So how do these things pattern themselves? Just bought a Warrior SE (love the fact that it actually says Dolphin right in the front) and I couldn’t figure out how the thing works out how it’s going to clean. It seemed to head toward the shallow end and spend a bunch of time going back and forth the short way. (My pool is essentially a lap pool, it’s 30’ long and only 5’ wide at the shallow end). I did see when it was finished it was at the deep end. But it’s weird to see it go back and forth, away from the wall, then up to it, kind of turning sideways and then straightening out. Odd to say the least.

also, which filters do you use? The mesh ones or the pleated ones?
Thanks.

My guess is the alogrithim creates a best guess scenario on coverage and time spent, making turns and direction changes to fulfill the best guess. There isn't any mapping or memory.

I use pleated filters in Aqua Vac QC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.