Ready to give up...what to do?

I have been fighting algae for at least 3 weeks. Long story short: I was away, the filter broke and the pool was green. New temporary filter line had to be installed so I currently do not have a skimmer, just pvc piping running directly from the pool to the filter. The water color has gone from dark green to light green. Although the water color has improved I still cannot see more than 1 foot into the pool. I have been slamming as best I can but I work long hours and have no one home to fill in for me. Here are my testing results from this evening:
FC 15
TA 90
CYA 40
PH 8.2
CH 50
Where am I going wrong? Any suggestions?

Your schedule is running against you. The closer the FC additions the faster it will go, at the beginning probably each hour. You need to find someone to help you test and add accordingly. Sorry that im no help but you are doing everything right except the schedule.

What about something like this? Its an automatic chlorinator for liquid chlorine. I would read up on here any maybe someone on here has one, but it seems like it would give you the flexibility to continue to add bleach to your pool while off doing real life non-pool stuff.

Since you have a temporary plumbing line, did the pump stop working or is there an issue with the original plumbing line? What are you using to circulate water at this time? If you could post a picture of the current pool situation that will help us come up with solutions for you.

The pool is currently being filtered through the filter. The skimmer line had no pressure when they tested the lines. They connected a pipe that runs from the pool directly to the filter as seen in the third photo. The plumbing has a leak at the first junction after the pump and the filter drain also has a small leak.
Testing update at 6AM FC =16, at 8:30 FC = 13.5 (added LC as directed by pool math), at 11AM FC = 13.5 added LCEF3CB3BB-0683-4B0A-A103-AE18CDA6FBDC.jpeg384D8F38-A877-4C09-9EB6-78EAE1A084A3.jpeg3911B835-6202-4EB2-A6B7-843A84556DF9.jpeg408E748D-127E-401B-BFE6-32232729278B.jpeg953A6F19-09C4-4173-BE03-6C79698B6D11.jpeg

What about something like this? Its an automatic chlorinator for liquid chlorine. I would read up on here any maybe someone on here has one, but it seems like it would give you the flexibility to continue to add bleach to your pool while off doing real life non-pool stuff.

Thanks JJ. I will research it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like you're doing it right. Keep on keeping on.

If you can get home to test and add at lunch this week, you'll be able to do at least 4 tests/adds a day which after today's hard hitting might work out for you.

Try testing and adding every hour instead of every two. That will keep you much closer to your SLAM level more often.

Update this is what the the pool looks like today. Blue but cloudy. Continuing to slam but getting concerned about the high level of chlorine for such an extended period of time. Any suggestions? Should I use a clarifier. Maybe the sand filter needs help ?

Attachments

• 136840E5-B9B5-4275-9482-8EBBB7DC961E.jpeg
    136840E5-B9B5-4275-9482-8EBBB7DC961E.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 8
Clarifier could gum up your sand filter and isn’t recommended. You’re really at the POP (pool owner patients) stage.

You can help your sand filter get the cloudiness by adding some pool DE so it traps the finer stuff that’s in the water. See

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.