Ready to fill the pool in with dirt and grass seed.

Sculptera

Jun 18, 2021
White lake mi
Good evening all,

Im new here and so far, Im enjoying the wealth of knowledge you all have. I have a 16x32 vinyl pool, approx 25,000 gallons.
New this year, I have a Pentair superflo, and Hayward (I believe) C900 cartridge filter, and new Jandy Truclear SWG. Previously had a jacuzzi pump and sand filter with zeo.

I do not have a reliable test kit yet, so I don't have accurate numbers to post. Currently, Im frustrated and from what I gather here, I need to SLAM.

The installer of my equipment did drop tests and told me my FC was around 3 yesterday. The pool is blue, but slightly cloudy. You can see down to the shallow end, but not clear. On the deep end, on the bottom, there appears to be what looks like a brown/green cloud of debris that when you brush it, it almost settles back on the bottom right after stirring up. It does not change the water color when disturbed. When this substance goes to the surface, its a leafy green, almost like chopped spinach on the surface. The top of the pool keeps getting a foamy substance that looks like soap on the surface. When it goes over the steps, it looks like a globby substance that appears brownish and slightly slimy.
My cartridge filter on install this week was 14psi, and is now 26psi. I have cleaned it several times and the PSI still shows 26, and the water flow is very low. The cartridge has this 'spinach' on it. After cleaning the filter, the pressure goes right back to 26psi. The flow is so low I can't run my heater, and my SWG says 'low flow.' Assuming its an algae?

Anyhow, on to my question. While I wait for a reliable kit, what would be the best to move forward with? blindly hit the pool with liquid chlorine and brush, or deep clean the filter with TSP first?

Sorry for so many questions. Im at my wits end and know that I need you guys and will do this right. Im ordering one of the TF100's this weekend.
Thank you for putting up with my rant.

Welcome to the forum!
Have you ordered a test kit? If so, which one?
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further. A gallon of 10% liquid chlorine per day will be close to 5 ppm FC.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Howdy Sculpter-ah... welcome to the forum :wave:
You are on your way to a SLAM Process as soon as you have a test kit. So get ready. The spinich soup sounds like algae and the only way to kill it is with elevated levels of sustained chlorine.. called a SLAM. read up on it.

Also how are you cleaning your filter? you may need to be doing it often if the spinach soup is that thick.

Lastly, fill out your signature if you don't mind. it provides a handy reference for others that want to give you advice. ... no you won't have to fill in your pool, honest. ;)

Welcome to the forum!
Have you ordered a test kit? If so, which one?
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further. A gallon of 10% liquid chlorine per day will be close to 5 ppm FC.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Hello! I will be ordering the tf100 I think it is. I want to get started correctly. I dropped in a gallon of 12% liquid this afternoon. Thank you! The pool was clear this morning, saw junk on the bottom but when I vacuum, it stirs up and gets cloudy again.

Howdy Sculpter-ah... welcome to the forum :wave:
You are on your way to a SLAM Process as soon as you have a test kit. So get ready. The spinich soup sounds like algae and the only way to kill it is with elevated levels of sustained chlorine.. called a SLAM. read up on it.

Also how are you cleaning your filter? you may need to be doing it often if the spinach soup is that thick.

Lastly, fill out your signature if you don't mind. it provides a handy reference for others that want to give you advice. ... no you won't have to fill in your pool, honest. ;)
Thank you! Yup, ready to slam it when I get the kit. I've been spraying the filter with the hose. Pressure jumps back up quickly. I soaked in filter cleaner last night and this morning it was 16psi and went to 30 after my vac. Won't go down after hosing down now. Going to try a tsp soak tonight. The pool was crystal clear this morning, and you could see the junk on the bottom. After vacuuming, it stirs up again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.