Ready to Convert - am I?

Yikes! I waited longer this time since I only had 3 AquaStrip test strips left. I don't feel like spending 15 dollars for 50 more strips when my kit arrives tomorrow so I didn't test until now, 2:00 PM. Waited a bit too long I think. Also, it is still VERY sunny out!

Reading at 2:00 PM
6 hours and 45 mintues after adding 3.5 gallons:

Total Chlorine: 1.0
Free Chlorine: 1.0
Total Alkalinity: 120
pH: 7.6

2:05 PM Added 4.0 gallons (it was all I had on hand [should have added 6 gallons]- need to run to the store to get more!)
Reading after 5 minutes:
Total Chlorine: 9.0
Free Chlorine: 7.0
pH: 7.8

Put the Navigator in to clean for the first time...

Reading at 5:15 PM
3 hours and 5 mintues after adding 3.5 gallons:

Total Chlorine: 1.0
Free Chlorine: 0.5

Question: Could the sun be eating up the FC that fast?

Just had a pretty good downpour. Now the sun is back out!

5:20 Added 6.1 gallons
No reading, ran out of AquaCheck strips! I don't want to guess for my overnight dose so I am going to buy a new bottle of them.
Total Chlorine: ?
Free Chlorine: ?
Total Alkalinity: ?
pH: ?

Now that the kids are gone, gonna take my lovely wife out for dinner. We'll be alone and should enjoy a peaceful dinner but I think I'll be thinking about my pool numbers! LOL :hammer:

JasonLion said:
Yes, the sun "consumes" chlorine fairly quickly if you don't have any CYA. You don't have any CYA yet, and don't want any yet because it slows down the conversion process significantly.

Got it! I took pictures just before wifey and I left for dinner. I will post them later, my my it looks soooo sparkling clear!

Reading at 7:45 PM
2 hours and 25 minutes after adding 6.1 gallons

Total Chlorine: 9.0
Free Chlorine: 9.0
pH: 7.4

Topping off for the night
8:00 PM Added 2.5 gallons

Reading at 8:10 PM
10 minutes after adding 2.5 gallons

Total Chlorine: 10+
Free Chlorine: 10+
Total Alkalinity: 100

Will have one more reading before retiring for bed.

Oh ya, here are the pictures I took before we went to dinner. My daughter took our camera to camp so I had to use my cell phone.

[attachment=1:1y70gikt]Day3-530PMb.jpg[/attachment:1y70gikt]
[attachment=2:1y70gikt]Day3-530PMa.jpg[/attachment:1y70gikt]
[attachment=0:1y70gikt]Day3-530PMc.jpg[/attachment:1y70gikt]

Attachments

• Day3-530PMa.jpg
    Day3-530PMa.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 226
  • Day3-530PMb.jpg
    Day3-530PMb.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Day3-530PMc.jpg
    Day3-530PMc.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 229
Man, I am starting to feel like high-maintenance. I noticed some black gunk in the skimmer - started showing up this afternoon. It scrubs off easy but I am not sure what it is, algae? Can anyone distinguish it in these blurry photos?

[attachment=0:2wgeq054]IMG00228.jpg[/attachment:2wgeq054]
[attachment=1:2wgeq054]IMG00229.jpg[/attachment:2wgeq054]

Attachments

• IMG00229.jpg
    IMG00229.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG00228.jpg
    IMG00228.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 225

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What a conversion!

I know for a fact that you will enjoy BBB!

I also like your liner! 8)

Reading at 6:45 AM
10 hours and 45 minutes after adding 2.5 gallons (topped off when the sun when down):

Total Chlorine: 10+
Free Chlorine: 10+
Total Alkalinity: 100

The strips only go to 10 remember. The color on the test strips for FC and TC was not as dark as when I went to bed but they are still up there. If I were to guess I'd say a drop of 2 or 3 ppm. My kit should be here today so I'll know for SURE! :)

I took pictures this morning because I really think my water is even clearer! I'll post them when I get to work.

This is when you start really needing the FAS-DPD chlorine test. When the FC level remains the same overnight, or really close, you can replace your filter media and add CYA. But only the FAS-DPD test has the precision to distinguish the small FC changes that are almost there but not quite from the level staying the same.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.