Ready for floating season!!

Beerfloater

Bronze Supporter
Feb 18, 2020
North Carolina
Hey Everyone,
We just purchased a new home in October. It came with an inground pool. This is our first inground pool. We had an above ground pool before. The pool with the new house was not used at all last year, and was covered with a mesh safety cover, so as you can imagine it is a very dark green right now. I am sure I will be leaning on you all to help me get her sparkling clean. We are in North Carolina, so I plan to be opening the pool up in about 2 weeks to get an early jump on spring. any advice to help me get this thing clear and ready for Beer floating will be greatly appreciated. I have attached a couple of pics. I hope to be posting some in a few weeks with everything all cleaned up and ready to go.

Attachments

• Swampy.JPG
    Swampy.JPG
    635 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8558.jpg
    IMG_8558.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: carnivalday
Welcome BF. If you know nothing about pool care (cleaning up the current pool) , then you are 5 steps ahead of most people who come here with previous bad habits. It takes the experts more time to convince the people to give up the bad habits/advice than it does to help fix the actual problems. Search up and order a proper test kit, there are hundreds of threads about it. From there practice testing and post up your results and folks here will guide you through the rest using over the counter and cheap supplies.

No need to wait, low temps are your friend, unless its because of time constraints. As mentioned before get yourself a Test Kits Compared. Meanwhile you can start by scooping out all the debris with a net. Check all the pluming, pump and clean your filter so you know you have a clean start. You can also start looking where to buy liquid chlorine, muriatic acid and CYA. Those are the only things you will need. Start reading up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and SLAM Process.

Welcome to TFP!

Welcome, BeerFloater.

I can hardly wait for the pictures of what things look like under that cover and the results after you get it all cleared up.

I see a vinyl lined pool, so while you're scooping out solid debris please be careful not to damage the liner.

Do you know if the equipment (pump, etc) works?

That pool looks like a snap to clean up. Really! Get a TF-100 XL test kit from www.tftestkits.net and you'll be in great shape to take control of the water. (I suggest the XL version since you'll need to do a LOT of testing while cleaning it out)

Source some plain liquid chlorine. Perhaps local pool stores in your area sell it or janitorial companies. Home Depot/Lowes tend to sell HDX liquid chlorine also, but be aware of date codes so you're buying the freshest possible. No Clorox products as they contain polymers (or any bleach you find that advertises some fancy technology=polymers). Liquid chlorine or plain bleach is the cure to that green in your pool!

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
PoolMath

Welcome aboard!

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Beerfloater
I see a vinyl lined pool, so while you're scooping out solid debris please be careful not to damage the liner.

Do you know if the equipment (pump, etc) works?

That pool looks like a snap to clean up. Really! Get a TF-100 XL test kit from www.tftestkits.net and you'll be in great shape to take control of the water. (I suggest the XL version since you'll need to do a LOT of testing while cleaning it out)

Source some plain liquid chlorine. Perhaps local pool stores in your area sell it or janitorial companies. Home Depot/Lowes tend to sell HDX liquid chlorine also, but be aware of date codes so you're buying the freshest possible. No Clorox products as they contain polymers (or any bleach you find that advertises some fancy technology=polymers). Liquid chlorine or plain bleach is the cure to that green in your pool!

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
PoolMath

Welcome aboard!

Maddie :flower:
Thanks for the help, and the words of encouragement. Yes all of the pool equipment does work. I had to drain some water out when we bought the house in October, because of the record rainfall that we have had in the last year or so. I made sure every thing was working then drained, and winterized everything. I am hoping there is not that much solid debris in there since the cover has been on it the whole time, but I am sure there are some leaves and other debris that got in but really hoping not much.

Welcome! That looks like a great setup with the pool house and all. So exciting!

I am a new pool owner also (we installed this past fall) and this forum has been amazing at helping with all my questions.

Create your signature when you have a chance with the information you know. Add in equip part numbers too.