Reading test results problems

Hello,

I will get a real test kit to be able to get near pro results as recommended, based on the assumption that I will be able to use it.
In the meantime, I have a basic test kit that I bought in beginning of march a lot of time before getting interested in TFP. It does not give all the infos but it is better than nothing I suppose.
Each time I use it, I am unable to read and understand the results. I am worried a bit.

First, with a real test kit, are the colours and results easier to read? Is it easier to read the colors with the Taylor kits? If not, I don't know what I will do. Maybe I am colorblind and I don't know? People are really helpful but I don't want to ask my results on the forum daily!! ;)

Next, kind of a poll, I attached pictures of the results. Can you please tell me what do you think is the value for chlorine and pH? There is 3 pictures but it is the same test.

Also, as always, any working tricks and advice greatly appreciated so I can become better in pool management.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190612_204712178_iOS.jpg
    20190612_204712178_iOS.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190612_204647986_iOS.jpg
    20190612_204647986_iOS.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190612_204632160_iOS.jpg
    20190612_204632160_iOS.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 33
If you order the kit recommended on this forum, the chlorine test goes from pink to colorless.... you don't have to match shades.

pH test you have to match but I think the Taylor test block is easier to read than the one you have. I would say your pH on your current kit looks like 7.6 or 7.8.

See how I am not really good at it ... I would have say 3. For pH I would have say around 8.
The good news is the FAS-DPD test doesn't rely on color matching. Only colored or clear. And the pH may well be 8.0. It doesn't really matter because you've got such a wide range of acceptable. So what if you call it 8 and you target 7.5? If you're wrong and it's 7.8, big deal. You may end up at 7.3. Still acceptable. The other tests rely on color change rather than shades, and the CYA test is do you see a dot or not. Even if you only saw black and white (well, shades of grey) you could do that test.

Ok. Thanks for the information.

Should I consider pH to 8 and try to lower it now or wait a bit? Is it possible that my pool love 8 better than 7? It seems that each time I do a test it is always 8 or near of no matter how test is made.
If I should try to lower now, should I target 7.5 or 7.6?

Anecdotal, I went to a hardware store near me and Muriatic acid is in a restricted area in the back store. When I asked for it the guy asked me the purpose. I said to lower the pH in my pool. He laughed and said that it is too dangerous to be put in a pool and that I don’t know what I am doing. He refused to sell it to me!!!! I had no time to negotiate so I left. Is Muriatic acid dangerous at that point?

Ok. Thanks for the information.

Should I consider pH to 8 and try to lower it now or wait a bit? Is it possible that my pool love 8 better than 7? It seems that each time I do a test it is always 8 or near of no matter how test is made.

Anecdotal, I went to a hardware store near me and Muriatic acid is in a restricted area in the back store. When I asked for it the guy asked me the purpose. I said to lower the pH in my pool. He laughed and said that it is too dangerous to be put in a pool and that I don’t know what I am doing. He refused to sell it to me!!!! I had no time to negotiate so I left. Is Muriatic acid dangerous at that point?
I buy Muriatic Acid, 31.45% strength 4 gallons at a time at the local independent pool store no questions asked. And they carry it out in a plastic milk crate and put it in my car for me. Your local guy is an idiot.

Find a new store to spend your money in.

Yep. I will go elsewhere tonight.

Yep. I will go elsewhere tonight.

Without knowing TA, it's hard to say. Maybe TA is 200+, which is why the pH pops up immediately? You're going top have to knock the pH down to get the TA down or it'll always be too high and might cause eye discomfort. What's the CH level? Maybe you're in imminent danger of scale formation if the pH stays high? And what you target also depends on knowing this stuff. If you're trying to knock down TA, you'd want to target 7.2. If the CH and TA are low, then maybe you;d want to keep the pH at the upper end, so you'd shoot for 7.6.

You cannot make an informed decision without information. Nobody can. All they can do is guess and hope.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.