? re: using concentrated bleach and all those darn pool chemicals

Lloydwalker

Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
Virginia
I've only been able to find "concentrated" bleach at my local stores (81 ounces = 121 ounces). I can't find anything on the label that says % Sodium hypochlorite. Do I treat it as an 81 ounce bottle or a 121 ounce bottle?

Second question, new pool owner and before I came across this information, I bought a lot of pool store chemicals. Sigh. Lesson learned. I know now to avoid the "shock" powders because it messes with my CYA, but okay to use the PH up and down until I use them up, then switch to baking soda and borax?

Thanks all!

FC: 8
CYA: 70
PH: 7.4/7.6
TA: 70

okay to use the PH up and down until I use them up, then switch to baking soda and borax?
Welcome to the forum!
pH up is normally soda ash. Be aware it will raise pH but really raise TA.
pH down is sodium bisulfate aka dry acid. It can be used to reduce pH but in the future it is best to use muriatic acid if you are having to lower pH regularly.

You should not be using both of those products. That is called the chemistry hamster wheel, created by pool stores, of recommending an elevated TA of 100+, and a low pH. Those are chemically incompatible. Let your TA lower, as low as 50 ppm, to keep a more stable pH.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to the forum!
pH up is normally soda ash. Be aware it will raise pH but really raise TA.
pH down is sodium bisulfate aka dry acid. It can be used to reduce pH but in the future it is best to use muriatic acid if you are having to lower pH regularly.

You should not be using both of those products. That is called the chemistry hamster wheel, created by pool stores, of recommending an elevated TA of 100+, and a low pH. Those are chemically incompatible. Let your TA lower, as low as 50 ppm, to keep a more stable pH.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thanks. I've read it. I was mainly interested in being thrifty to use up what I've bought. If that isn't a good idea, then I won't.

I saw the “concentrated” bleach yesterday in Walmart. 81oz. I think it was 7.25%. Another gimmick to get us used to smaller packages in my opinion. Already dropped to 121oz instead of full gallon. Now 81oz...😡
usually they have pool essentials chlorine in pool section. 10%. Lowe’s and others usually have some too.

Reactions: Lloydwalker
Glad u found us!
Its ok to use up what you have so long as your testing indicates it is needed.
Use PoolMath to figure outcomes of additions & determine if they are even necessary based on Recommended Levels
Your ph & ta both look to be fine As mknauss said
The idea here is to only add what is necessary to your pool.

Usually the bleach will have tiny writing that states the percentage- my Walmart has pool essentials chlorinating liquid 10% in stock as well
This is 6% household bleach👇
AA62E156-0E3B-46E9-9B29-27E19E39036A.jpeg

I see bleach in the supermarket labeled "concentrated." When I see a % it's usually 6%, but some don't have the percent at all! You'll find 10% at Walmart, HD,and Lowes. I get 12.5% at local Leslies--and when the percent of chlorine is taken into account, it's so far the cheapest I can find. Plus I can pull right up to the door at Leslies. HD is about a dollar cheaper for muriatic acid, but for a dollar, I just buy it at Leslies, too.

Reactions: Mdragger88
In my area, bleach is a terrible deal and it is hard to find just plain one.
Bleach or liquid chlorine usually referred on here is 10% or 12.5% and can be called liquid shock, chlorinating liquid, pool shock etc. It is usually found in the garden section or pool section.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Aah, found the answer on line. 7.5%

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

Don't trust the online info for bleach. If the ingredients aren't on the label then it is 3% or less of sodium hypochlorite. Leave that stuff on the shelf unless it is an emergency. Don't read the marketing or flashy labels. Look for the ingredients table on the label. It has to be there somewhere if it is above 3%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.