Re=plaster in the Portland OR area

McTrumpet

Jun 19, 2020
Stevenson Washington
Hello everyone. I'm a new member but have used the search engine quite a bit through the years. Thanks for the help!
I have a 20x40 (ish, has rounded ends) 36000 gallon in ground pool thats about 40-50 years old.

It either needs paint (that has been done twice before) or a re-plaster. My local pool place suggested someone in the area for a re-plaster and their estimate was 35 to 40 thousand dollars😮
I'm guessing that they didn't want to do it.

So, is that what a re-plaster costs? Can I get some recommendations for places to get some comparisons?
While I'm claiming the Portland area, I actually live in Columbia River Gorge, so someone in The Dalles would be reasonable as well.

Thanks for the help,

McTrpt

Hello everyone.

I have a 20x40 (ish, has rounded ends) 36000 gallon in ground pool thats about 40-50 years old.
It either needs paint (that has been done twice before) or a re-plaster. My local pool place suggested someone in the area for a re-plaster and their estimate was 35 to 40 thousand dollars!!!!! I'm guessing that they didn't want to do it.

So, is that what a re-plaster costs? Can I get some recommendations for places to get some comparisons?
While I'm claiming the Portland area, I actually live in Columbia River Gorge, so someone in The Dalles would be reasonable as well.

Thanks for the help,

McTrpt

A simple replaster can cost $5,000-$15,000 depending on the area.

Did your quote include repairs or tile replacement? Was it a full chip out of the old plaster?

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

It either needs paint (that has been done twice before) or a re-plaster. My local pool place suggested someone in the area for a re-plaster and their estimate was 35 to 40 thousand dollars!!!!! I'm guessing that they didn't want to do it.

Thanks for the help,

McTrpt

We did ours 5 yeas ago for about $11,000. Not quite as large but close. About $1,500 of the cost was sandblasting away the old surface. $35-40 makes no sense unless there's a lot of coping/tiling and deck work included.

Thanks for the replies. Here is the important part of the reply;

"This would include draining the pool, chipping off any existing plaster, replacing any fittings as necessary, bringing the main drains up to the current anti entrapment (VGB) codes, applying a new natural white pool plaster finish, and the initial chemical adjustment.
If any equipment, tile, or coping needed to be redone at the same time, that would be an additional cost".

The range that you both referenced was what I was expecting and budgeting for. Finding someone in the area has so far been impossible. Its hard to believe that the Portland area isn't better served, It doesn't rain all the time. ;)

Following. Seattle here. There are very few pool companies up here, so the prices are ridiculous. We did a quickie DIY drain, scrub, patch and fill when we first moved into the house three years ago. The pool was in okay shape for a 50 year old pool, but the pool was relatively unused for a decade or two.

I'm a total newbie, so take the following with the proverbial grain of salt.

You can easily drain the pool yourself with a "Wayne water bug" pump. Connect a hose to the outflow and run it straight into a toilet. It will take some time and the pool water will slowly drain out your sewer system, just make sure your neighborhood's sewers are able to take the volume (we were able to do this in our residential neighborhood with zero issues, but a septic wouldn't be able to take the load).

Then we scrubbed the existing plaster with a diluted muriatic acid wash. Patched weak spots with pool plaster patch. Filled and added the necessary salt, calcium, CYA.

Most expensive part was the water for the refill.

We are a few hundred feet above sea level so I wasn't worried about the pool being damaged when it was empty, but if your pool is close to water level please do some research on how to mitigate potential damage in an empty pool.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.