Re-open inground saltwater pool after new liner installed

May 28, 2017
Middletown OH
Long story short the company we signed a contract with backed out of installing our new liner. After almost 6 weeks of going back and forth I was able to at least get the liner from them (they measured it). However, I'm lost on how to re-open it because they always opened our pool. I called another pool place and they said to let the pump run for 2 weeks and then balance the water. I just searched some online and I've never seen that. I did ask the guy that put our liner in and he said he would just take my tap water in to the store and see what I needed. I guess the biggest question is, is it recommended to wait that long to balance water and not even shock it? Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

You don’t want to wait to balance your water or chlorinate it.
Chlorine is paramount.
To be clear, no one has added anything to the pool?
If not:
Fresh fill has no cya , so any chlorine your swg makes or u put in is going to vanish quickly due to the sun ☀️
70ppm or so of cya is recommended for swg’s but you should aim for 50ppm & re test in a day or so then add the rest so u don’t overshoot, as too much requires water replacement .
Use the sock method for adding cya (put dry stabilizer/cya in a sock 🧦, tie it off, hang it infront of a running return jet not touching the liner, squeeze the sock occasionally to dissolve the cya).
As soon as u hang the sock you can add 8ppm of liquid chlorine to reach target fc level for your cya (pour it slowly infront of a return & brush the area) FC/CYA Levels use PoolMath to calculate amounts.
You will need to replenish fc daily (using the chlorine side of the chart) until your swg is running.
Fresh fill likely doesn’t have salt either.
Aim for 3000 ppm or so in the long run but only put in 3/4 of the salt at first & then re test in a day or so- just as with cya, if u overshoot you will have to exchange water. You need to have the swg OFF at this time.
You need a proper test kit to balance & chlorinate your pool properly & follow TFP protocols (Taylor k2006 salt - available on Amazon etc. or tf100/pro salt - available @ www.tftestkits.net )
Relying on the pool store or pool builder is a mistake as u can already tell. The test kit will pay for itself quickly since u won’t be buying everything the pool store will try to sell u.
You can get the cya & salt going & replenish fc with liquid chlorine (about 4ppm) daily until your kit comes.
When it comes, do all the tests, post all the results here & we can help u with the rest.

Pool Care Basics

Chlorine is paramount-
Wait until the pool is filled & the water is circulating & hang the sock in front of a return jet.
Like this 👇

5C9F95FD-C7BC-43A4-8402-3E4E487E8E25.jpeg309DCF7F-A88C-4A4A-AE7A-71A515E81E95.jpeg

You can add 4ppm worth of liquid chlorine now infront of the running hose to get some chlorine in. Pour slowly & Brush the area well.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.