Re: Cloud/tiny bubbles coming from Aqua Trol SWG

N8ZK

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2014
Grand Junction, Colorado

Please do not hijack another member's thread. Always start your own. Split from here Casey~

I'm having a similar problem with the Aqua-Trol RJ version. Do I just let it run?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:

It appears that you have a water chemistry issue. Have you added algaecide? Posting a complete set of test results and a history of what has gone into your pool recently (two weeks) will be helpful.

These appear to be the tiny bubbles I've read about in other posts. I've ordered a Taylor K-2006 test set and I'll post the results. I hadn't run across this website previously and I've learned a LOT! We have had partly cloudy weather and these bubbles would dissipate when clouds blocked the Sun and come back when Sun was on the pool. Today is sunny so we'll see what happens.

I did use algecide prior to a 2/3rd water change as I installed the SWG this year when I opened the pool. Last year I had a bad algae problem and couldn't keep chlorine in the pool. Is an algecide like Kleen Pool a good idea?

Here is what I could measure from an HTH test kit I sourced locally;
5/25/14
CYA 85
TA 140
pH 7.2
TC 1 - This test kit doesn't measure FC
Temp 62F

Mostly I've added Stabilizer, pH Down (was 8) and granular chlorine to get where it's at. The SWG doesn't seem to be bringing FC up by test strips I'm using which are indicating .5-1 ppm. I'm running the SWG on "Super-Chlorinate". I need the Taylor kit to verify all this. I'm afraid I still have algae and intend to do the OCLT procedure as soon as I get it. I'm aerating the pool by pointing the return nozzle to break the surface of the water trying to get TA down some and pH up a little.

5/26/14
TA 140
pH 7.2
TC 1
Temp 59F

My overnight aeration had no effect so I intend to build an aerator I've seen on other posts here today and try that.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

My issue with the tiny bubbles has subsided quite a bit since I first posted last week. I would agree that it has to do with the chemistry. I ended up leaving if off until my chemical assault (that's what it felt like) was complete and the pool water visually looked better. The water wasn't completely clear the other day but I turned on the SWG and I was getting just a trace of scum. Today. No scum. I wish I had taken pictures when it first happened because there had to be a good 1/2" of scum on the water.

I was like you and almost bought the deluxe water testing kit from Taylor but I cheaped out and ordered 6 Aquachek Silver 7 in 1 test strips (100/bottle) from VM Innovations on eBay. Worked out to about $19CDN a bottle for the benefit of other Canucks out there. Amazon.ca wanted $80/bottle. lol

I received my Taylor kit and after testing I definitely had an algae problem. I have done the bleach shock per the calculator and my water looks great now. I've run the SWG some with my solar cover on and it hasn't foamed up but the cover maybe effecting this. My pH is low at 7.0-7.2 with my TA very high at 140. I'm aerating to try and bring pH up so I can acid treat to lower TA but pH isn't moving as yet. I'm using cheap FC test strips just to decide if I use the high or low range FC test from the Taylor kit.

I am having the exact same problem this year. We have a 5 year old Aqua Rite system and it has been great up until now. I did use a different algaecide this spring . Has anyone pin pointed exactly what causes this. There seems to be a number of households with the same problem but I have yet to discover a blog or post that identifies a solution. Just a lot of "could be". I'm shutting off the unit and switching to chlorine. Once the pool is clean again, and time has passed I may consider using the SWG again, but for now it is to annoying and obviously not functioning as it should.

After getting my water chemistry correct thanks to this fantastic website, the bubble accumulation problem is gone. I definitely had an algae problem and likely too much algaecide in the pool. I still see the bubbles coming from the return jet with the SWG on but they dissipate in the pool very quickly. Follow the FC and CC test procedures found in this website to check for algae. Not sure if you have a vinyl liner, if so feel the walls and floor to check for a slimy feel. That's algae. Time to shock if you have it. That's what fixed it for me. My water is crystal clear now and the SWG maintains the correct FC level with no problem. I still show .4 ppm CC but the water is very nice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.