Raypak heaters lack efficiency?

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
My natural gas utility offers rebates on pool heaters with >84% efficiency, but it looks like there aren't any Raypak residential low-NOx heaters that meet that requirement. There are Hayward and Pentair heaters that do. I just wanted to check if Raypaks are still the most recommended on TFP and if there might be a model I'm missing.

Also remember that the heaters that are +84% efficiency usually have a fan motor to reach that efficiency and when eventually the fan fails their usually $500+ to replace. The Raypaks don't have
an expensive fan assembly. The design is simpler and maybe slightly less efficient but it makes up for it when you need to replace parts down the road.

Reactions: borjis

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do want to lean towards the Raypak, but I can't find a residential low NOx model with cupro-nickel heat exchanger. Maybe the Southern California market isn't large enough to justify the expense of making that particular combination.

Thank you. I did find the CR406AENX, but I think because I live right at the 2,000 foot elevation line that I need the 2,000 - 6,000 foot version, which nobody seems to have. Does anyone know if the different elevation models make that much of a difference?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.