Raypak Heater still rolling out after all these years....

Aug 19, 2016
Toronto, Canada
Jayryght said:
Was wondering if someone could please help me out on this; I have a Raypak Natural Gas Heater (auto start) bought and installed in 2013 and just turned it on to heat the pool and it's reading "Rollout SW Open". I have read elsewhere on this site someone having a similar problem and have established that the rollout switch is open and I have found it. It does not have a button to restart it, I am wondering if there is anything I can do before having to call for service? I have cut the power and turned it back on; turned off the gas shut-off and turned it back on, and opened the panel and cleaned all the debris I could with a rag. Any help would be much appreciated.
Just an update regarding this three years later. Got the heat exchanger cleaned about a year after this happened and still rolling out. The tech said it wasn't all that dirty. Heater just rolled out again after a touch of wind. Control panel went at the end of last season so I replaced that myself; works now.

The pool heater is located in Toronto Canada, no pool shed around any of the equipment and I am in an area that backs onto a ravine. Lots of trees, wildlife and bugs surround my property. I clean the machine as best as I can at the start of the season only to find out I clean it again towards the end of the season.

I'm thinking I may need a pool shed around the area? Another tech told me to get a chimney for it too? What do you recommend? I'm on my third or forth rollout switch in six years!

If you look in the installation manual (you can find them online if you don’t have the original), Raypak sells a “high wind” chimney kit for these heaters that is supposed to help mitigate flame roll-out when the unit is installed outdoors. I believe there is also an active exhaust fan kit too that can be installed (forces an updraft). Either one of those options, if they work, would be cheaper than building a shed.

Reactions: Jayryght
If you look in the installation manual (you can find them online if you don’t have the original), Raypak sells a “high wind” chimney kit for these heaters that is supposed to help mitigate flame roll-out when the unit is installed outdoors. I believe there is also an active exhaust fan kit too that can be installed (forces an updraft). Either one of those options, if they work, would be cheaper than building a shed.
Thanks perhaps a high wind chimney kit then. And if that doesn't work; an active exhaust fan kit. I really can't afford a shed right now...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.