Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Raypak 266A "Hear clicking noise' and fault code says 'No Pilot sensed'
flame is at 0 and volts at 28.5

any ideas - is pilot assy bad ? can i clean it an replace ?

also, we shut off gas to pool equipment for winter and i just cranked it back on - pool heater was working perfectly before winter

thanks in advance.

manual is here : https://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/media/raypakdigmanual.pdf

How many times did you try to let it light? Many times when you shut off the gas it might take a while as there is air in the line from somewhere. I have had customers who had to try it 7 times before it lit. Just power it off and try it again. I would say if after 6 attempts it doesn't light, then carefully try using a BBQ lighter while it is sparking and see if that will light it. If that doesn't work, then you might need to start looking at a clogged pilot maybe.

How many times did you try to let it light? Many times when you shut off the gas it might take a while as there is air in the line from somewhere. I have had customers who had to try it 7 times before it lit. Just power it off and try it again. I would say if after 6 attempts it doesn't light, then carefully try using a BBQ lighter while it is sparking and see if that will light it. If that doesn't work, then you might need to start looking at a clogged pilot maybe.

thanks - How do i light it - don't know where to light it ?
also, how do i clean the pilot ?

Pull off the from door and then down near the burners on the right side is where the ignitor is. When it starts to spark, light the BBQ lighter and stick in side on the right hand side of the burners. Be careful doing this.

No judgement here....

But did you turn off, or should say, turn ON both the gas valve that should be outside the heater jacket AND the on-off valve that is on the gas control valve itself?

yes i did - i shut down power to unit, I then turned off the main valve, from my gas meter running out to the pool, then i turned off the valve outside the heater jacket, then turned off the valve (knob) on regulator - then I replaced the pilot assy ,, then in reverse order turned everything back on - i.e all 3 valves ... then power back on the unit - cranked my variable speed pump to 2500 rpm (or else heater does not start due to low flow) and it still clicks.

thanks

nope i didnt - and this is done by manually lighting the burners with a bbq burner right ?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you confirm you have gas flow to the gas valve? Between the gas on/off valve outside the hater and the gas valve inside the heater

nope i didnt - and this is done by manually lighting the burners with a bbq burner right ?​

No not manually lighting the burners. You need to make sure the gas is getting to the gas valve. You should have a union in the gas pipe somewhere between the shutoff on the line feeding heater and the internal gas valve. Shut off the gas to the heater and crack open the union and then slightly open the shutoff and if you hear and smell gas you are good. Close up the union tight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
some more information : I read this post and checked if i had 24Volts at the PV , M/V and MV/PV

Raypak heater partially fixed

results
29 volts at PV and PV/MV
.024 volts at MV and PV/MV

Does that mean Gas Valve is bad ?

also my Gas Valve is a VR8304K4814

do i need to replace exact ?

No not manually lighting the burners. You need to make sure the gas is getting to the gas valve. You should have a union in the gas pipe somewhere between the shutoff on the line feeding heater and the internal gas valve. Shut off the gas to the heater and crack open the union and then slightly open the shutoff and if you hear and smell gas you are good. Close up the union tight.

trying to do this .. but the union is so tight -- I'm afraid it might crack !

see pic : Pool heater Gas Pipe — imgbb.com

should i take the one off to the right ? at the bottom or the on on the left above valve -

Also valve is closed now, but i do open it when i test.. in case you were thinking.

Thanks for the picture. It helps! Actually you can remove the cap off of the drip leg, I circled it, next to the heater. Take it off and then open the shutoff to see that gas is coming out. If gas is coming out that is good. Looks like you have natural gas. And you said that while the pilot was sparking, you tried putting a BBQ lighter down by it but it didn't light? Also, did you check to see if when you replaced the pilot assembly that you could blow air thru the pilot tube? When you were checking the voltage readings at the gas valve, it was during the time the unit was sparking, right?

You could also check the system board to make sure you didn't have any small critters in there sitting on the board. I find small lizards or tree frogs in systems down here and they end up shorting out the board causing all sorts of problems.

gas pipe.jpg

nope i didnt - and this is done by manually lighting the burners with a bbq burner right ?

- - - Updated - - -

nope i didnt - and this is done by manually lighting the burners with a bbq burner right ?​

Okay so I confirm that there is gas coming into the regulator,
After which I mustered up the courage to tight the pilot with my BBQ Lighter,
And the thing did fire up, but it fired up with a real loud continuous clicking noise.. so after about 20 seconds I put it off. Then I fired it up again, this time it started up even without the BBQ Lighter, but the loud clicking noise is still there, also this time I let it run for about a good minute, then I turned it back off
Any ideas what that loud noise is?

Does it sound like the ignitor is still sparking (clicking)?

Yes I believe so

Here is a quick video :

Loud clicking - YouTube

Thx

- - - Updated - - -

Please check the thread raypak heater continuous spark; still heating. I updated today. Might have some good info in there and a video clip of the sound mine was making. Maybe the same issue? Thanks,

Thanks..
So you did replace your gas valve?

- - - Updated - - -

Does it sound like the ignitor is still sparking (clicking)?

The other piece of information I forgot to mention.. six months ago a technician came and installed a new gas cooktop in the house, having said that maybe after that was done the pressure coming into the pool gas valve has changed?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.